A Conversation for 'Jason and the Argonauts' - the Film

Peer Review: A87816702 - 'Jason and the Argonauts' - the Film

Post 1

Bluebottle

Entry: 'Jason and the Argonauts' - the Film - A87816702
Author: Bluebottle - U43530

An article about a classic, much-loved film.

This article was inspired by, and is dedicated to, Galaxy Babe.

<BB<


A87816702 - 'Jason and the Argonauts' - the Film

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

I read this as soon as you put it in, Bluebottle. It's interesting and definitely worth having in the Guide.

I saw a few problems, but will have to read it again to remember what they were.


A87816702 - 'Jason and the Argonauts' - the Film

Post 3

Bluebottle

Let me guess – there were only 3 problems:
The Beginning
The Middle
The End smiley - winkeye

I've tried to make this one contain less waffle and fewer references to other Harryhausen films than I've done before – cross-referencing worked well in the Sinbad articles, but looking back, not quite so well in the 'Clash of the Titans' article.

<BB<


A87816702 - 'Jason and the Argonauts' - the Film

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

Jason and the Argonauts

Content and Layout:

Your section on the Plot gives three heavy paragraphs on the background, and then nothing at all about the plot. Do you think you could ease off on the mythology and give us something about what happens in the film itself?

The "Sword and Sandal" section is badly structured. You've already mentioned sword and sandal earlier, so when you mention it in the first paragraph here we have develeoped a good idea what it means. Then you go and explain it from scratch in the 2nd paragraph. I think this problem could be solved by swapping the first two paragraphs in this section, then rewriting them slightly to fit their new positions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Choice of Words:

They deliberately had cast an older actor -- this would be better in past tense, as "They deliberately cast an older actor..."

"Patrick Troughton would later find fame as the Second Doctor in Doctor Who, and later appeared as Melanthius in Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger" -- he later did something and later did something else. Reword it.

"Harryhausen with producer Charles Schneer narrowed the story down" -- the way it's phrased here, it sounds as if someone else came up with the story and Harryhausen narrowed it down. You should rephrase it as:

"Assisted by producer Charles Schneer, Harryhausen narrowed the story down..."

This ship, converted out of a fishing barge at a cost of $250,000, cost a large proportion of the budget -- reword this to avoid the disturbing "cost .. cost".

"are stock footage. The film came from the 1956 film Helen of Troy" -- this sounds clumsy. Combine the two sentences:

"are stock footage taken from the 1956 film Helen of Troy"

"Harryhausen has also stated that" -- since Harryhausen died, this should be reworded in past tense.

"however they may have appeared in the sequel that was never made" -- you mean "might" rather than "may". "May" implies we don't know whether they did or not. "Might" says that you are talking about a hypothetical world in which things turned out differently.

Another key difference is in the film, Jason and his crew steal the Golden Fleece -->
Another key difference is that in the film, Jason and his crew steal the Golden Fleece

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Spelling etc:

Aeetes - I feel this would normally have a diaeresis (two dots) over one of the vowels. Not sure which one.

You've Nancy Kovack's name spelt in two different ways.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Other:

You could link to A610651 The Colossus of Rhodes

smiley - oksmiley - booksmiley - galaxy


A87816702 - 'Jason and the Argonauts' - the Film

Post 5

Bluebottle

This has been updated with most of Gnomon's changes, with only changes to the Plot section a work in progress. It's always the most difficult part - trying to find a balance between saying what happens, without giving the film away.

<BB<


A87816702 - 'Jason and the Argonauts' - the Film

Post 6

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok

Footnote 4 about Cerberus needs to be moved up to the first time you mention the two-headed dog (I was very confused by that at first)

In the Talos section "A Titan and statue by Hephaestus" - I don't understand that (how can he be both?)

"broach pin" -> "brooch pin"

I didn't see the Sword and Sandal section before, but I find it heavy going somehow... Perhaps move the sentence "With attempts to make decent films..." into the next paragraph, so you could just say "hence Jason was unsuccessful in the USA".

" He later used his experience of combining live action film with animated creatures when directing films " - I think you could just say "he later used his experience when directing films" to avoid repetition of "live action"

smiley - ok


A87816702 - 'Jason and the Argonauts' - the Film

Post 7

Bluebottle

Good suggestions all – I've moved the footnote, reworded the Talos bit, corrected the broach pin, reworded the sword and sandal section and avoided live action repetition, hesitation or deviationsmiley - ok

<BB<


A87816702 - 'Jason and the Argonauts' - the Film

Post 8

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - blush

Finally had time to read thissmiley - ok

Well done <BB< and thanks smiley - biggrin

GB
smiley - mistletoesmiley - smoochsmiley - galaxy


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 9

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 10

Bluebottle

smiley - wowYay!

<BB<


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 11

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Congratulations! smiley - applausesmiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 12

Geggs

Well done!smiley - applause


Geggs


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 13

SashaQ - happysad

Excellent! smiley - bubblysmiley - biggrin


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 14

bobstafford

smiley - ok Well done smiley - applause


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for 'Jason and the Argonauts' - the Film

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more