A Conversation for How to Survive Taking Children to Theme Parks

Peer Review: A87811608 - How to Survive Taking Children to Theme Parks

Post 1

Bluebottle

Entry: How to Survive Taking Children to Theme Parks - A87811608
Author: Bluebottle - U43530

A collaborative entry based on an Ask conversation (F19585?thread=8291198), with contributions by:
Beatrice (U190170)
Bluebottle (U43530)
Dr Anthea (U203430)
Mol (U222463)
Orcus (U94957)
Party like it's 1999 (U94986)
quotes (U14993315)
You can call me TC (U154942)

<BB<


A87811608 - How to Survive Taking Children to Theme Parks

Post 2

You can call me TC

Whoops - I left a comment at the entry itself by mistake.

Can't be bothered to repeat it here - it wasn't really constructive.

Nice summary of the thread.


A87811608 - How to Survive Taking Children to Theme Parks

Post 3

Beatrice

Great collation!

I think it needs a bit of neatening round the edges - that sentence under planning beginng "Yup..." could be incorporated into the rest of that section.

Under food and drink, I'd add my own favoruite tactic - grab an iced coffee to have during a mid-day parade or show. It's a great way to cool down AND perk up.

Footwear - can I put in a plug for Crocs? Comfy enough to walk around in all day, and it wont matter if they get wet on the splash rides.


A87811608 - How to Survive Taking Children to Theme Parks

Post 4

Bluebottle

As you're one of the co-authors, I want you to feel happy with the article. So if you want me to mention iced coffee and crocs, you've got it! Any other rough edges you think need a polish, let me know.

(I still hope to persuade you to put your Orlando entry into Peer Review, or at least the Edited Guide Writing Workshop, one of these days...)

<BB<


A87811608 - How to Survive Taking Children to Theme Parks

Post 5

Beatrice

A30081791 Crocs smiley - tongueout

Which Orlando entry was that, now?


A87811608 - How to Survive Taking Children to Theme Parks

Post 6

Bluebottle

Link to Crocs added!

I love what you have written at A38323695. A little tweak needed here and there maybe, as things have changed a little over the last 5 years, but still very good.

<BB<


A87811608 - How to Survive Taking Children to Theme Parks

Post 7

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

A good Entry with lots of helpful advice. smiley - smiley

We don't have any theme parks nearby so the only times I was at any was when we went to the USA for holidays.
I think the 2nd time I was in Disneyland (California) was best... even though it started with dad leaving mum and me waiting for him while he went on a ride. I must have been about 12 years old.
For some reason I also still remember the food we had that day. It was some kind of barbecue stuff in Adventure LAnd and came with half a corn on the cob and some baked beans. At that moment (tired after a whole day walking around in the sun) it seemed like the most delicious disch that had ever been cooked. smiley - laugh


A87811608 - How to Survive Taking Children to Theme Parks

Post 8

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

It's so good to see a collaborative Entry in Peer Review and I am frankly quite amazed that this hasn't had more recognition from reviewers.

I am taking the silence to mean that readers are finding this faultless :D


So, on the basis that this has been here for ages, I'd recommend this for the Guide please.


A87811608 - How to Survive Taking Children to Theme Parks

Post 9

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - book

I read this a while ago, and also felt its structure was a bit rough towards the end, as Beatrice said, but I haven't had chance to look in more detail yet, sorry...

smiley - ok


A87811608 - How to Survive Taking Children to Theme Parks

Post 10

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Few comments

I feel the section that talks about buggies and strollers to be terribly pedantic. I'd think it would sound less so, and more in line with normal people if it could be rewritten please. Take out that terrible word 'perambulator' Buggies and strollers are internationally understood words. Ensure that whatever new phrases are used are not repetitive, but that slip easily on the inner ear of the reader.


In the last paragraph, the word 'piccies' is used, which made me actually wince. Can you replace it with 'snaps'

I'd also take issue with the Approved Guide suggesting deception, even if it may be tongue in cheek, so I would ask you to take out

[Put your children in prams and put big hats on them so they look under their real age and get in free.]


and the following is a repeat of a similar statement earlier in the Entry:

[Younger children enjoy running around as much as they want as much if not more than being on a ride anyway.]

so I would delete that point.


A87811608 - How to Survive Taking Children to Theme Parks

Post 11

Bluebottle

Tweaked appropriately. smiley - smiley

<BB<


A87811608 - How to Survive Taking Children to Theme Parks

Post 12

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok

The definition in the So, What is a Theme Park? section is a bit odd - it first talks about Adventure Parks (which are not theme parks) and then says a Theme Park is like a Pleasure Park, but Pleasure Park hasn't been defined.

In the Preparation section, I think it might be better to make it less definite - children *may* want you to buy photos and *may* whine, which *could* become unbearable (or alternatively, the adults may get fed up first, depending!). Similarly in the sentence beginning "Nowadays it is common practice " - might be better to say "nowadays it is possible". The fifth paragraph in the section is about planning, but so is the first paragraph.

In the Food and Drink section, Adventure Park is mentioned. There is also a first person reference "I don't think"

In the Adult Activities section, I wasn't keen on the flavour of the "Little children" sentence, but maybe that's me misinterpreting it - I expect my family didn't choose to go to theme parks until we children were older than what little children are (and the little children would need the attention in a theme park or anywhere else).

In the Water, Water section, it would read better to be something like "always know where your towel is. With water rides, it is a good idea to do them together rather than one at the start and another one at the end of the day"

In the Meeting Characters section, I think it needs some advice about what to do if the children get frightened by them (I wasn't keen on them in Disney, where they are everywhere smiley - yikes, but my mum admitted she wasn't keen either, so we interacted with them together and stopped each other being frightened smiley - laugh )

In the General Tips section, the second tip "Either don't them sleep" isn't clear.

The Photography subsection at the end seems a bit incongruous to me, somehow - maybe it would be better incorporated into the general tips section.

Otherwise, it is an excellent Entry smiley - ok Wasp season? Yep - been there and ended up with unhappy adult, but learned about the First Aid facility, which was fascinating for us children. Wet pushchairs/wheelchairs when it rains while on rides? Yep - been there more than once indeed...

smiley - ok


A87811608 - How to Survive Taking Children to Theme Parks

Post 13

Bluebottle

Good, well-made points, so the article has been amended accordingly.

The 'So, What is a Theme Park', 'Preparation', 'Food and Drink' bits have been re-written. I'd like to see what other researchers think about incorporating the 'Photography' bit further into the General Tips section. I must also admit I've nicked a couple of quotes from you to add to the entry, but credited you too. Any objections to this, let me know!

<BB<


A87811608 - How to Survive Taking Children to Theme Parks

Post 14

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok

" I must also admit I've nicked a couple of quotes from you to add to the entry, but credited you too."

Cool! smiley - coolsmiley - laugh

The paragraph about the little children has a much better flavour now (not shouty). The advice about the characters is great smiley - ok

Reading it again, I think if the Photography section at the end were just renamed as "And Finally", or something like that, to emphasise that it is a conclusion, that would solve the incongruity for me smiley - ok


A87811608 - How to Survive Taking Children to Theme Parks

Post 15

Bluebottle

Ending renamed to 'And now for something completely different' as requested... or something like that anyway smiley - winkeye

<BB<


A87811608 - How to Survive Taking Children to Theme Parks

Post 16

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - oksmiley - biggrin


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 17

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 18

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Congratulations!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 19

Beatrice

Yay! smiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 20

FWR

must be time now?.....smiley - artist


Key: Complain about this post