A Conversation for Writing Right with Dmitri - Getting the Religion Right

Yeah,

Post 1

Willem

Hi Dmitri! Yes, I think this is quite a problem, people writing religion into something without understanding the religion in question. The big thing to remember is that people in a religion generally do actually believe what they say they do ... religions are not all 'cool' and 'with it' ... at the same time they are not all joyless, small-minded and authoritarian either. There is right now a particular climate of disrespect towards religion from certain quarters ... so indeed a 'realistic' portrayal of religion in fiction (or movies or tv) is perhaps particularly necessary right now.

By the way I tried to look up what the Buddha said about the plausibility of scenarios and came across an article suggesting an influence from Buddhism on the Greek philosophy of Pyrrhonism, a most refreshingly anti-dogmatic scepticism - contrasted with the science-dogmatic/everything-else-questioning scepticism of today ... forgetting (or perhaps not quite appreciating) the fallibilism that supposedly should guide scientific inquiry.


Yeah,

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - ok I take your point - you're right, of course. Many religions, when properly practised, encourage inquiry and healthy skepticism. Those who don't, are probably being misused by some demagogue.

And I think you're right about the current trend toward 'science', myself. Most of these 'scientific' folk are not being scientific. They're just parroting factoids. That's, er, just a new kind of web-based superstition. smiley - whistle

Real science is about knowing what you don't know, and trying to figure out a way to test a hypothesis - otherwise, you're just quoting Aristotle/Newton/Richard Dawkins/some guy you met in a chatroom. smiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Writing Right with Dmitri - Getting the Religion Right

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more