A Conversation for The Isle of Wight Steam Railway

Peer Review: A87796255 - The Isle of Wight Steam Railway

Post 1

Bluebottle

Entry: The Isle of Wight Steam Railway - A87796255
Author: Bluebottle - U43530

I've recently written about a steam railway in Yorkshire and Miniature Railways in Hampshire, so it was obviously about time I wrote about my local steam railway.

<BB<


A87796255 - The Isle of Wight Steam Railway

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok

I find the Origins section hard going - mention of the formation of the Central Railway is covered, although I find the detail about the relationships between the lines confusing (seems as though they didn't amalgamate after the one went into receivership, but were already pretty merged before that) but then yet more companies are mentioned so it's even more complicated. smiley - cdouble

smiley - biro Axmen - Axeman

"This left only the line between Ryde and Shanklin, which was electrified and fitted with former London underground trains due to the height of the Ryde tunnel" - was it a particularly low tunnel? - ah, yes it is mentioned later that it is a low tunnel.

The Havenstreet section was also confusing to me, as there is mention of Haven Street and Havenstreet, and I'm not sure if some of them are mixed up smiley - cdouble

There's repetition of the information about the swapped tender in the E1 Class - W2 Yarmouth section - could that all be put into the Love Me Tender section? (great title, btw!)

smiley - ok


A87796255 - The Isle of Wight Steam Railway

Post 3

Bluebottle

I've tweaked the Origins slightly. It is probably easier to visualise with a map, but the Cowes & Newport Railway originally ran the trains on the Newport to Ryde line, but the line itself was owned by the Ryde & Newport Railway until the amalgamation.

There were five different railway companies that ran railways on the Isle of Wight (8 if you count the Isle of Wight Central Railway as the 3 before merger) so yes, it is a bit complicated – I'm glad I decided to leave out mentioning the London & South West Railway and the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway... '-)

Yep – Ryde is a low tunnel. It used to be deeper, but being next to the sea, the tunnel kept flooding, and so the ground level was raised.

Haven Street & Havenstreet
Yes – it is confusing. Before 1950 the station and area was named after the local road, Haven Street, and was a typical hamlet situated along a road. In 1950 the area became a village named Havenstreet. So before 1950 the area is 'Haven Street', after it is 'Havenstreet'. The steam railway, being a heritage line and wishing to be in keeping , uses 'Haven Street' to refer to itself when it is set before 1950 and 'Havenstreet' for when it is after 1950. There is an explanation in the Havenstreet section, but I've added a brief footnote the first time the name is used.

I've also re-written the Love Me Tender section, not only to reduce repetition but also to reduce repetition smiley - winkeye

<BB<


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 4

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Isle of Wight Steam Railway

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more