A Conversation for 'The Persuaders!' - The TV Series

Peer Review: A87885283 - 'The Persuaders!' - The TV Series

Post 1

SashaQ - happysad

Entry: 'The Persuaders!' - The TV Series - A87885283
Author: SashaQ - happysad - Editor - U9936370

I found this series on Freeview, and I'm really enjoying it smiley - cool so I thought I'd write about it for the Guide smiley - ok


A87885283 - 'The Persuaders!' - The TV Series

Post 2

Bluebottle

I enjoyed reading this and it inspired me to find my copy of 'My Word is my Bond', Roger Moore's autobiography*. It's available in all good bookshops, some bad ones, and probably some that are technically more stationers than bookshops that used to be quite good, but aren't any more being a third smaller since the Post Office moved in at the back. (I bought it from a charity book shop which means I got it quite cheap and the money went to ending cancer and/or ending world hunger, and I enjoyed the book so much I bought another by Roger Moore new so he didn't really miss out on any royalties, so it's an all win.)
You might even find a copy in your local library.

Anyway, if you'd like I can summarise the chapter that Roger Moore wrote about 'The Persuaders!' Did you know that he reason why 'The Persuaders!' didn't do very well in America was because it was scheduled against 'Mission Impossible'?

<BB<

*I believe I have mentioned the difficulties involved in locating a specific book out of the thousands in the loft before.


A87885283 - 'The Persuaders!' - The TV Series

Post 3

You can call me TC

You mention that it was a success in Europe and, although it was (just) before my time in Germany (aired in 1972) I know it was a huge success here - mainly because the scripts were so well and wittily translated.

I have discovered that there are some episodes in German on Youtube so I may have a look to see if they really were so great. The German title was "Die Zwei".


A87885283 - 'The Persuaders!' - The TV Series

Post 4

You can call me TC

I've now watched the first episode in the German (dubbed) version. It really is quite funny (for the time) and it was certainly a huge cult among connoisseurs (and those who even had a TV - not a given in those days)


A87885283 - 'The Persuaders!' - The TV Series

Post 5

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks everyone - I will make tweaks soon. Glad you enjoyed the German dub version, TC smiley - biggrin

I would appreciate the summary of Roger Moore's thoughts on Persuaders - I got Tony Curtis' autobiography from a charity shop at the weekend, so it will be good if his thoughts are incorporated too smiley - ok


A87885283 - 'The Persuaders!' - The TV Series

Post 6

Bluebottle

Here's a Quick Summary based on Roger Moore's autobiography:

When making 'The Saint' producer Bob Baker had the idea of a spin-off series featuring the Saint and a mismatched American. This idea was tried out in episode 'The Ex King of Diamonds' starring Stuart Damon as Texan Rod Huston, the episode was considered a success but after 'The Saint' finished, Roger Moore forgot all about the idea.

However a couple of years later in 1970, Bob Baker convinced Lew Grade that the idea would work. This was originally to be called 'The Friendly Persuaders' until it was realised there was a film called 'The Friendly Persuasion' starring Gary Cooper. Lew Grade sold the show around the world stating that it was starring Roger Moore even though Moore hadn't agreed to be in it. In fact Moore was trying to get into films and not interested in another television series at the time, especially as Bond's producers had approached him.
Moore reluctantly agreed to do one series, and Grade informed Moore that he had three actors in mind, Rock Hudson, Glenn Ford and Tony Curtis. Moore had worked with Ford before and had not enjoyed the experience, he felt that as Rock Hudson was a similar size and build there would not be enough contrast and so Moore agreed to Curtis. Curtis at the time was the head of the anti-smoking lobby and persuaded Moore to give up cigarettes (he continued to smoke cigars), although on Curtis' arrival to the UK to begin making the series he was slightly arrested for possession of cannabis.
Part of Curtis' pay for appearing in the series was a house in Chester Square, Mayfair. As Curtis had a habit of ignoring the script, ad-libbing and going off on tangents, Terry Nation and Baker decided that Moore would carry the story while Curtis would provide the comic relief. Curtis was convinced that his character of Danny Wilde would wear gloves at all times – even when washing his hands. Curtis was also quick to anger, leading to his being rather rude to some of the guest stars, on one occasion he even called Joan Collins a very rude word and it took a long time before Moore was able to persuade her to continue acting in the programme.

In 1968 Moore became a director of milling company Pearson and Fosters. This company offered to outfit him for any television shows he would be making and he let them do so for 'The Persuaders'. After some involvement in choosing the type of clothes he felt his character would wear, Moore was given a 'Clothes designed by' credit.

When Roger Moore was 15 he was briefly a trainee animator at Publicity Picture Productions, when he joined the Association of Cinematograph Technicians union. As a union member this allowed him to direct episodes of 'The Persuaders'. In one he cast his daughter Deborah Moore as a school girl only to be told off by the school's headmistress as she was seen wearing her genuine school uniform without the school's permission. A picture of his son Geoffrey appears in the opening titles, representing a young Brett Sinclair.

After doing one series as he agreed, Moore was approached by the Bond producers. There was some consideration of continuing with a different actor, as the rating in the US were poor (largely because of the scheduling against 'Mission Impossible') in the end it was decided to just have one series.

I hope the above is some help smiley - smiley

<BB<


A87885283 - 'The Persuaders!' - The TV Series

Post 7

Bluebottle

Although I wonder whether Roger Moore was confused as ITV had made a 90-minute drama entitled 'The Friendly Persuaders' in 1969.

<BB<


A87885283 - 'The Persuaders!' - The TV Series

Post 8

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks <BB< smiley - biggrin

I have added in more detail from the autobiographies smiley - ok


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 9

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 10

You can call me TC

Entry announced 9 hours ago and no one has opened a bottle of smiley - bubbly yet.

We are getting very lax around here.

smiley - cheers everyone!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 11

bobstafford

Well spotted smiley - magic congratulations smiley - cheers


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 12

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks everyone smiley - biggrin

smiley - cheers


Key: Complain about this post