A Conversation for Loss of an Old Friend: A Hurricane Story

No Subject

Post 1

Websailor

Thank you so much for writing that. I saw it in the newspaper this side of the pond, and was most upset, for the beautiful ship and the people on it.

I did wonder why it was at sea when the forecast was so clear and in good time, but as sailors I thought they would know what they are doing.

As you will know my 'sailing' comes entirely from the Internet with the round the world yacht races but I know the challenges they all faced.

Very, very sad, and if you know any of them please pass my condolences and good wishes from the UK.

Websailorsmiley - dragon


No subject.

Post 2

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Websailor, sailing ships usually do better out at sea rather than in ports for hurricanes. It is in ports that they are likely to get smashed by the storm surge, where out at see the waves tend be be shorter and it's easier to ride gales out. There tends to be a lot more damage when a ship is anchored. This is probably why they were out there. Course a lot depends on the particular shore line and the nature of the storm---it might have picked up speed rapidly and they didn't have time to get to a better spot along the shore.


No subject.

Post 3

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

>Thank you so much for writing that. I saw it in the newspaper this side of the pond, and was most upset, for the beautiful ship and the people on it.

I am glad you enjoyed my sharing the story, as much as I regret having the inspiration to write it. I think it was a bit of therapy for my myself and my wife.

>I did wonder why it was at sea when the forecast was so clear and in good time, but as sailors I thought they would know what they are doing.

As Electra said in her later post ,ships are usually far safer at sea in a storm, rather than in port. I suspect her main problem was that she was not far enough off the coast, 90 miles south-east of Cape Hatteras is not exactly close to land. Cape Hatteras is one of the most dangerous places in the Atlantic Ocean and is commonly called 'The Graveyard of the Atlantic'. My guess is that a few of her wooden planks were pushed out of place by the heavy waves and let in the water, I suspect we will never know for sure.

I remember seeing a boat of about 30 feet (.a little under 10 metres) run into the marina to avoid a strong thunderstorm. He did not have time to get to his slip, but rounded to under the protection of the breakwater and got in his sails. In less than half an hour the anchor dragged and the boat was hard onto the rocks at the seawall. She was a total loss and we helped him salvage the few meagre possessions that remained. I remember him searching for his plane ticket for a business flight he had scheduled for the next day. Like many of us the boat was his home.
>Very, very sad, and if you know any of them please pass my condolences and good wishes from the UK.

As I said this was a long time ago, most of the crew I knew were 'tour crew' not sea crew. Thank you for your kind thought, I'm sure they are appreciated by all.

Fsmiley - dolphinS


No subject.

Post 4

Websailor

Thanks Elektra and FS, I hadn't thought of it like that. So sad about the ship and the crew members too. I have always loved the tall ships etc. and it was such a beauty.

My fascination with sailing is odd as I don't swim, don't like water except to look at and live far from the sea (well in UK terms!)


Websailor smiley - dragon


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Loss of an Old Friend: A Hurricane Story

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more