A Conversation for Westgate, Winchester, Hampshire, UK

Peer Review: A87771649 - Westgate, Winchester, Hampshire, UK

Post 1

Bluebottle

Entry: Westgate, Winchester, Hampshire, UK - A87771649
Author: Bluebottle - U43530

An article about Winchester's mediæval gateway known as the Westgate.

<BB<


A87771649 - Westgate, Winchester, Hampshire, UK

Post 2

h5ringer

Reading...

<>
Does this mean the perimeter distance was 3034m?

smiley - bookstill reading...


A87771649 - Westgate, Winchester, Hampshire, UK

Post 3

h5ringer

The Anarchy:
You have Stphen and Stephan. Assuming they're the same person, which is correct?

Middle Ages:
<>
Something needs to connect these two sentences, perhaps or similar.

Gaol and Pub:
<>


Archives and Museum:
Not relevant to the Entry, but I'm curious as to why a butcher had a suit of armour.

Visiting Today:
There is a small GuideML error in this section.

General comment - in the body of the text there are 85 occurrences of the word 'Winchester'. Since this Entry is all about a feature of this town, it doesn't need to be specified quite so often. Some of these could be replaced with 'the town' and other less repetitive alternatives. smiley - winkeye

Thorough as ever <BB<


A87771649 - Westgate, Winchester, Hampshire, UK

Post 4

Z

I liked this entry, it certainly made me want to visit the Westgate if I was in Winchester. I think my only comment is that a lot of the time it felt like it there was a lot of overlap with the history of Winchester.


A87771649 - Westgate, Winchester, Hampshire, UK

Post 5

Bluebottle

Hello – thanks everyone for your comments.
Perimeter added, Stephans corrected to Stephens
A connecting sentence added in the Middle Ages section as requested, as has the Gaol and Pub bit.

Why did a butcher have a suit of armour.
I don't actually know – I'd love to know the answer. I can think of three possible answers:
1.) He was an extremely clumsy butcher.
2.) As a Social Status icon, to show how rich he was becoming.
3.) For self-protection and reassurance in uncertain times. After all, the Isle of Wight had been invaded by France in 1545 and Henry VIII spent the 1540s building castles in the nearby area, including Hurst, Calshot, Netley, St Andrews and Southsea all in Hampshire.
It's one of those things where I guess we'll never know the truth.

smiley - modIn the body of the text there are 85 occurrences of the word 'Winchester'
smiley - yikesI can't believe you said that – you've never said anything like that to me before!

smiley - modI think my only comment is that a lot of the time it felt like it there was a lot of overlap with the history of Winchester.
smiley - biroThat is a good point and well taken. I was hoping to show how important the Westgate was through mentioning the number of times the city of Winchester was captured and threatened. The trouble is, my sources only mention the consequences of these events to the city of Winchester itself, and not how they specifically affected the Westgate.

<BB<


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 6

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Westgate, Winchester, Hampshire, UK

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more