How to Heckle in Baseball

1 Conversation

Baseball is a wonderful summer pastime and one of the rare opportunities in which the spectator can say things to a player and the player will actually hear it. Sure, depending on the venue, you may have to yell, but when the bleachers are pressed close to the backstop, there isn't much to block the sound. This can create a highly personal experience for the spectators and somewhat of a distracting situation for the player. As is such, heckles are an extremely important aspect of the game and should be treated with respect. 


The following are guidelines on how to properly heckle during a baseball game.


- DO make jokes and puns about the opposing team's mascot. Example: "What is a Sea Wolf? Is that a real animal? Are you a mythical creature?"

- DO comment on the attire of the opposing team. Example: "You've got some mighty fancy pants there, batter! Where'd you get such fancy pants?"

- DO shout nonsesical phrases, movie quotes or general facts aimed at distracting and confusing players. Example: "Yogurt is alive! I'm riding a furry tractor, Ron!"

- DO make puns based on or around the player's number. 

- DO express your disagreement with calls in a polite and civil manner. Example: "I question your value system, sir. I urge you to reconsider."


- DO NOT make comments based on race, ethnicity or preceived sexual orientation. If the best thing you can come up with is, "Pitcher's got a gay hat," then your heckling priveledges will be removed.

- DO NOT not tell any players that they "suck." Yelling "You suck!" is grounds for removal of your heckling priveledges.

- DO NOT use profanity. If you can't think of a creative heckle without swearing, you don't deserve to heckle. This is a family sport and should be treated as such.

- DO NOT heckle an injured player or umpire. It may be tempting to yell, "Karma's a b*tch!" at a fallen ump but that is not sportsmanlike.


Baseball games are only as fun as the people watching. So go to a game, have fun, get involved, heckle your heart out and try to get the rest of the crowd involved. Keep it fun, keep it good natured and keep it sportsmanlike. 

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87767707

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more