A Conversation for 24 Lies a Second: Giger Recount

Awix, great review.

Post 1

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

I also wonder if movies don't shoot themselves in the foot by having carpet advertising. Even though it does not have Sigourney Weaver in it I might actually consider going to this film --especially as it has no car chases or JS in it.


Awix, great review.

Post 2

Awix

There's no film that wouldn't be improved by a bit of added JS, Elektra. smiley - smiley

I feel I ought to warn you again about a sequence towards the end which female viewers in particular may find very uncomfortable to watch! I was watching it going 'Ooh... aah... ouch.... auughh... eeeee.... yeucchhh!' It is properly icky and gory and nasty in a very personal way...


Awix, great review.

Post 3

aka Bel - A87832164

I haven't a clue what JS is, but by what you posted above, I guess I'll give this a miss. I despised the Alein films, so I'm not a fan anyway. smiley - smiley


Awix, great review.

Post 4

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Sorry Bel JS is short for Jason Statham, a Welsh action actor who does a lot of 'action' movies sort of like Arnold Schwartzenegger or Claude van Damme. Awix is very fond of him and is trying unsuccessfully to make fans of D and me. Lost cause not really into fight films or car chases. Although I must say he does fight choreography most impressively, they have a balletic quality about them but are not worth movie ticket prices to us.


Awix, great review.

Post 5

Awix

Welsh???? smiley - headhurts

Actually Mr S is doing a movie with Van Damme and Schwarzenegger this summer (he will be the young one). The balletic fisticuffs may be a result of his history as a professional falling-in-the-water person (came 12th in the world championships once).


Awix, great review.

Post 6

AlexAshman


I have to say I really didn't like Prometheus - it reeks far too much of the more recent Alien (and AvP) films, and I'm more of a fan of subtle terror suspense films like Alien (and I also liked Aliens). I found there was nothing but rather expensively-rendered CG gore to be had in Prometheus. Seriously, it made Alien: Resurrection look good. The script is not high brow, but merely "high brow for an exploitation film", and no, I didn't fail to notice all the various potentially high brow nods and themes, they just weren't very good and jarred horribly with what was otherwise a diabolically predictable, nay awful script.


Awix, great review.

Post 7

Awix

Okay. smiley - smiley

Obviously, I almost completely disagree with you, but I don't (usually) try to tell people what to think.

Except - you didn't think Michael Fassbender's performance was at all creditable?

(BTW, if Ridley Scott finds out you think Prometheus is anything like Alien vs Predator he'll probably come round your house and do you a nasty...)


Awix, great review.

Post 8

AlexAshman


Yes, Fassbender was convincing, but Rapace wasn't, varying accent and all. And yes, the photography was well-directed, but that was about it.

The first comparison my mind made at the finger dipping point wasn't ebola, it was the C virus, so what followed felt like old ground being badly re-trodden. Had it not ended with an Alien popping up, it would instead be a bad zombie film set in space. And the 'foetus'? Urgh.

As for AvP comparisons, I can't help but see a gory action film set in a pyramid where surprised humans get lynched by two alien races, eventually defeat both at a last ditch attempt, only to see the Alien pop out of a chest in the last scene.

As for back-story - the lack of back-story here appears to be due to the fact that the characters all popped straight out of cloning tanks. The characters and their high ideas are all predictable as hell. The plot was obvious from the moment Weyland turned up, especially the question of his motivation for chasing after his creator, and there was no Aliens-style doubt as to whether the robot was evil.

Sorry to disagree so much, but I was rather disappointed.


Awix, great review.

Post 9

Awix

No need to apologise for disagreeing! smiley - smiley

This film does seem to be having a polarising effect. Given my usual issues with Ridley Scott films and the Alien series I'm mainly surprised that I find myself in the positive camp...


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for 24 Lies a Second: Giger Recount

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more