A Conversation for How To Sail Dinghies

Peer Review: A87757834 - How To Sail

Post 1

RossyTheWorm

Entry: How To Sail - A87757834
Author: RossyTheWorm - U14996671

I've been sailing for at least half my life now, so here' the byproduct


A87757834 - How To Sail

Post 2

Bluebottle

Very good article! And a topic that the guide could definitely needs articles on as we don't seem to have one in the Guide.

You've gone from writing about Fire to Water – can we expect Earth and Air next?
A few spelling errors (but I don't want to get bogged down by minor spelling mistakes at this early stage as we all make them, and they're fairly unimportant in the grand scale of things).
Normally we would avoid saying 'I', so the last paragraph could be rephrased to something like 'Known as the capsize for wimps by those who can't do it, the theory is…'

<BB<


A87757834 - How To Sail

Post 3

RossyTheWorm

Haha maybe could do earth and wind. Sure I'll look through it all again to check for spelling and change te "I"

Ta


A87757834 - How To Sail

Post 4

You can call me TC

This is well structured and informative without overloading the reader with too much information. I love your enthusiasm, Rossy.

It would be lovely if we could include diagrams.

Oh - and perhaps you could call it "how to sail a dinghy", rather than just "how to sail" because sailing larger boats with cabins and more than one mast is quite a different matter.

Also a glossary (perhaps a separate entry) would be useful. Some words vary across the sailing community, too. For example, I remember it being called "gybing" when the wind crossed over the stern.


A87757834 - How To Sail

Post 5

RossyTheWorm

Ok will sort it in less than hour maybe. How do I put diagrams in?


A87757834 - How To Sail

Post 6

Bluebottle

Sadly the short answer is that we can't put diagrams in.

(The longer answer is that if you have drawn a diagram/taken an appropriate photograph yourself that you strongly feel should be included, you can notify the Community Artists when and if this article is recommended for the Edited Guide for their consideration (provided it confirms to the guidelines). In fact, the Community Artists are always open to new volunteers).

<BB<


A87757834 - How To Sail

Post 7

Z

[email protected] is always a useful e mail address...


A87757834 - How To Sail

Post 8

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Hi Rossy I can see you spent a lot of time on this.

A few points

You speak quite a bit about the daggerboard later, you should probably mention it under boat parts. Also in the section "Turning Turtle" you say "Often a turtle can lead to your dagger board ending up falling out and you need this..."

===

You should mention in the "Boat Parts" that all loose items must be tied to the boat!

smiley - popcorn
Boyancy aid(you MUST always have this before hitting the water it will save your life...trust me)

===

In most places it is also a legal requirement!

smiley - popcorn
The boat that when tacks turns to starboard (right for me and you)

===

This is worded a little awkwardly. The name of the tack is the side of the boat the wind is blowing from. the side opposite the mainsail. The term comes from square sails.

===
...has right of way at all times, for this to be known both boats must shout what tack they are on (if on port tack shout PORT! and vice versa) so the boat on the port tack must take evasive action.

===

This is primarily used in racing, a boat shouting Starboard is demanding the right of way. The only reason Port is sometimes shouted is to acknowledge the right of way of the other boat before taking evasive action, in large fleets this is also used to warn other boats you must change course. If someone has to tell you which tack a boat is sailing on, you shouldn't be that close to other boats.smiley - biggrin

smiley - popcorn
...wait for a safety boat to come and help you should never NEVER sail without a safety boat on the water EVER!

I have to disagree with you strongly here. This implies that dinghy sailing must only be done at a formal occasion at a yacht club or regatta. Independent sailing of private boats, individually or by a few friends is one of the greatest joys of the sport. Before doing so the sailor must know how to face any emergency, not only capsize, but the loss of a mast or rudder, man overboard and how to come to the aid of another boat. I will agree that a reliable way of calling for help should be carried, a radio or cell phone in a good water-tight container, again tied to the boat!

Forgive me for putting my oar in the water, but I think these are important points.

I did not look at spelling or grammar, but I am almost certain "Gyving" is wrong.

smiley - cheers
Fsmiley - dolphins


A87757834 - How To Sail

Post 9

RossyTheWorm

ok i have done those things i think, and dig the oar in you all you, just not in sailing smiley - winkeye but yes dig in


A87757834 - How To Sail

Post 10

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Well done RossyTheWorm, I was afraid I would offend you with my corrections, I am really glad you are writing this, as I could never do it so well, I have studied the technicalities far too long and would get too bogged downed for a fun entries with trivia.

Two little quibbles you still say;



I would much better like to see the shout in the quote to be "Starboard!" as this in a much more important warning. With the change of those two word it will read much better.

If on the starboard tack shout STARBOARD! so the boat on the port tack knows he must take evasive action.

I perhaps did not express myself clearly enough on tying everything to the boat;



The dagger board should be secured to the boat with a rope long enough to remain secured all the while you are sailing, maybe 6 or eight feet long ( a metre or a metre and a half) through a ring or hole at the top of the board and a secure spot on the boat. If you do turn turtle the board can still easily be retrieved, as it is just hanging at the end of its tether.

Just for the record, I am not implying you should include this in your entry.

The way you recover from a "turtle overturn" without help is to swim some flotation to the masthead. Swim, or pull yourself to the side of the boat, preferably down wind, grab a shroud and any extra flotation available (Spare life jacket, cushions, Ice chest, etc.) pull yourself toward the top of the mast bringing the boat to horizontal. Tie your flotation to a shroud (one of the wires supporting the mast.) and pull yourself back to the boat which is now lying properly on her side. Retrieve your dagger board by the safety line and shove it through the well. pull yourself to the other side and Climb on the dagger board and right as in a normal capsize. With any luck the flotation at the masthead will slide down the shroud and can be stowed at your convenience.

Fsmiley - dolphinS


A87757834 - How To Sail

Post 11

RossyTheWorm

ok i've tried that, have a poke around


A87757834 - How To Sail

Post 12

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Hi Rossy,

I just noticed that you have added my name as a researcher on your entry. While I am flattered you think my input is that important I only intended to help you make your entry better, it is my gift to you. As I said before this is an entry I made a conscious effort not write on my own be cause I knew it would get way too technical and lose the enthusiasm and fun you bring here, just like that #%$& daggerboard you keep forgetting to tie downsmiley - biggrin. Many here are great on helping with spelling, structure and grammar, my specialities are the facts in a few obscure fields such as this. I do not view my contributions as anything more that a list of spelling errors, of which I have had many. I hope you don't mind I have removed my name and would like to see this enter the guide as you own. I have enough edited or approved entries myself, and a few others underway.

smiley - cheers

Fsmiley - dolphinS


A87757834 - How To Sail

Post 13

RossyTheWorm

uh huh sure thats ok


A87757834 - How To Sail

Post 14

RossyTheWorm

I realized when sailing today I've included nothing how how not to capsize and how to launch and return to either beach or pontoon, I will add these please have a look and tell me what you think


A87757834 - How To Sail

Post 15

Gnomon - time to move on

This is an interesting entry, Rossy, but I feel that it tries to tell too much too fast.

I know nothing at all about sailling, so I'd like first to be told what sort of boat you're talking about. Some friends of mine go sailing regularly, but their boat seems to take three people to sail it and can take passengers as well. Your Entry seems to be about a boat for a single sailor (don't know the technical term). Perhaps you could make this clear at the start.

You talk about some things that you need to know before going on the water, and launch into a complicated discussion of "tacking" which didn't make much sense to me. Would you be better putting this later in the entry, to try and keep the easy stuff at the start?

(Incidentally, I thought tacking meant sailing into the wind by zigzagging. Am I wrong, or is this another use of the word?)

The section where you mention sailing at more than 45 degrees to the wind also lost me. Could you explain the whole principle of wind directions, sail angle and boat direction a bit more clearly, please?

All in all, a good entry, but I think it needs more work.

smiley - oksmiley - booksmiley - galaxy


A87757834 - How To Sail

Post 16

RossyTheWorm

yeah i will look at the 45 degrees bit again, dinghy is the 1 or 2 people boats i thought i mentioned it somewhere but seems need to check that so will do, tack is just where you turn across the wind but it is used for getting upwind by zigzags but you could gibe up if you want.

i will look at this all later, thank you very much smiley - hugsmiley - cheers


A87757834 - How To Sail

Post 17

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

smiley - boing

Just seeing how you're doing Rossy,

Also if you pop over to the Create page for July A87763747 then this entry satisfies its requirements if you sign up!


A87757834 - How To Sail

Post 18

RossyTheWorm

yeah im going well thanks


A87757834 - How To Sail

Post 19

Bluebottle

How are you getting on with this? Did you explain the principles of sailing at more than 45 degrees to the wind?
This article has potential and I don't want to see it neglected or abandoned.

<BB<


A87757834 - How To Sail

Post 20

RossyTheWorm

I'm getting there, been a bit busy, finally got some off time coming up, take a look if you wish and let me know

=^.^=


Key: Complain about this post