A Conversation for NPL Launches New Guide Framework: Pastey tells all in Post Exclusive

Ah, I think I've got it

Post 1

Vip

The only y to save Ripley is to lessen the strain on it. Hence we put the default to Pliny, thus taking away the readers from Ripley, who outnumber us contributors about 20 to 1. Pliny takes the strain, and Ripley is saved!

Admittedly, I think I'llbe switching to Pliny but I know it will be a cold day in hell when you switch off goo, Pastey. smiley - winkeye

smiley - fairy


Ah, I think I've got it

Post 2

Pastey

You've got it exactly. Ripley is taking the strain for casual readers and us researchers. Most people who contribute to the server load are just reading an entry or two. And Ripley can't handle it.

So, we've built Pliny. It uses a stable release of the Zend Framework, we've reused the code that did work, replaced the code that didn't or was missing, and tarted it up a bit.

When Pliny becomes the default skin, the casual reader who comes in through Google and other search engines will get that skin, and framework. Anyone who wants to continue using their older skins (Goo of course smiley - winkeye) on the Ripley framework will be able to. We're not planning on turning them off. But with the strain being taken by Pliny, we should hopefully see an end to our slow loading, time outs and server crashes.


Key: Complain about this post

Ah, I think I've got it

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more