A Conversation for Bluebottle's Meet Up Report

Eccles Tram

Post 1

Secretly Not Here Any More

That is a good portent. While every other tram service in the city operates on either a 6 minute service or a 12 minute service, Eccles trams appear only once every seventeen months. And fifty percent of the time, they change into MediaCityUK trams when they hit Salford Quays.

Unfortunately, the Eccles tram is the one I rely on to get to and from work.


Eccles Tram

Post 2

Bluebottle

One every 17 months – is the tram piloted by the Goon Show's famous Eccles, who has the timetable written down on a piece of paper?
Mind you, seeing trams is still a novelty for me. In my live I've lived on the Isle of Wight, last tram was in 1969, Southampton – last tram 1948 and briefly Leeds, last tram 1959. (The Goon Show 'The Last Tram (From Clapham)' is a classic episode)
I can't help naively imagining that travelling on an Eccles tram is a magical experience, where everyone eats Eccles cake whilst singing along to 'I Love Jennifer Eccles'smiley - whistlesmiley - musicalnote (although actually that would get quite annoying, not my favourite Hollies song).

<BB<


Eccles Tram

Post 3

Secretly Not Here Any More

Sorry to shatter your illusions, but on the Eccles tram I took to the pre-meet, there was more drug peddling and grooming of schoolgirls by local ex-cons than wonderful singsongs... smiley - winkeye


Eccles Tram

Post 4

aka Bel - A87832164

smiley - bigeyes

It would have helped me had there been an Eccles tram (not that I meant to go to Eccles, mind), but at least it seems to have the identifiable word 'tram' in it, whereas I had no clue that metro Link was the tram I was searching for. smiley - laugh

Nice write-up, Bluebottle. I feel as if I've been there. smiley - silly


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more