A Conversation for Hanukkah Cooking

Sounds great!

Post 1

Secretly Not Here Any More

Hannukah cooking seems much better than Christmas food.

Then again, the only bit of Christmas food I enjoy is roast ham, so maybe I wouldn't be able to embrace Hannukah quite as wholeheartedly!


Sounds great!

Post 2

Lady Pennywhistle - Back with a vengeance! [for a certain, limited value of Vengeance; actual amounts of Vengeance may vary]

Well, it's kind of a limited food range (especially if you're not into frying), but like I said before, Hanukkah is a fairly minor holiday. The bigger holidays, like Rosh HaShana (Jewish New Year) or Passover - which are both big-family-dinner type holidays - have more variety. Rosh HaShana is especially neat, because there's this whole slew of symbolic foods: you know, pomegranates and fish symbolise fertility and prosperity, a round challah bread symbolises the circle of years, and so on (a bunch of them are actually based on linguistic similarity - for example, the Hebrew name for beets is based on the same root as the verb 'to go/chase away', so you eat beets 'so that our enemies will go away', things like that - I find that kinda funny).
On Passover, of course, you're not allowed any bread or other flour products (except matzot), so need to find ways around it, so there's some interesting food then, as well.

Hanukkah, well, it's okay for kids. It's great, when you're a kid. As an adult, eh.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more