Kate Beckinsale, daughter of Richard Beckinsale and Judy Loe, was born on July 26, 1973.
Judy Loe, her mother, has appeared in Holby City (as Jan Goddard, 2002-3), Silent Witness, The Bill, Peak Practice, Inspector Morse and Casualty. Also appeared in Good Night And God Bless and Singles.
During her teenage years Kate struggled with anorexia, which was later cured. This was done by 5 years of Freudian analysis, with the support of her mother Judy and writer/director Roy Battersby. Judy and Roy started a relationship a few years after Richards death.
Roys directoral credits include Cracker (1993), A Touch Of Frost (1992) and Inspector Morse (1987).
Her acting debut came in 1991, when she was in second World War TV movie, One Against The Wind. In that same year, she studied at Oxford, studying French and Russian Literature.
Whilst still at Oxford, she got a role in Much Ado About Nothing (1993), which starred Kenneth Branagh, as well as a few other movies. However in 1995, after finishing at Oxford, she starred in a TV movie, Cold Comfort Farm, which recieved good reviews, and also in Haunted (1995), alongside Aidan Quinn and John Gielgud. Kate also appeared in a theatre production of The Seagull, by Anton Chekhov.
In 1997, she had the title role in the movie, Emma. The same year, she appeared in the comedy, Shooting Fish, where she played Georgie, an altruistic con artist. It became one of the highest grossing films in England that year.
In the following year, Kate starred in an american movie, The Last Days of Disco, where she portrayed a college graduate, putting on an american accent for the role. This movie was followed by a mixed reaction.
Kate gave birth to a daughter called Lili, with Michael Sheen, who was her boyfriend at the time, in 1999. Also in that year, she starred alongside Claire Danes in Brokedown Mountain, playing an American girl who gets caught with heroin, and then sentenced to 33 years in a Thai prison. In 2000, she appeared in The Golden Bowl by Henry James.
The only movie in 2002 she starred in, was a low key role in Laurel Canyon, where she played an american university graduate going astray after experiencing the wild side.
In 2003, she appeared in a gothic style set movie, Underworld, playing Selene, a black pvc clad vampire, in a battle against werewolves and vampires. Also in the same year, she announced her engagement to the director, Len Wiseman. Kate starred in another movie that year, Tiptoes, alongside Gary Oldman.
The following year saw another big movie in which she starred in, Van Helsing, along with Hugh Jackman. The movie was set in a gothic world with vampires and monsters. She also appeared in The Aviator, which starred Leonardo DiCaprio.
Kate Beckinsale once again donned the black pvc suit for the sequel to the 2003 movie, Underworld 2. There is another movie out, which features her, in Click.
- Click (2006)
- Underworld 2: Evolution (2006)
- The Aviator (2004)
- Van Helsing (2004)
- Tiptoes (2003)
- Underworld (2003)
- Laurel Canyon (2002)
- Serendipity (2001)
- Pearl Harbor (2001)
- The Golden Bowl (2000)
- Brokedown Palace (1999)
- Alice Through The Looking Glass (1998)
- The Last Days Of Disco (1998)
- Shooting Fish (1997)
- Emma (1997)
- Haunted (1995)
- Marie-Louise Où La Permission (1995)
- Cold Comfort Farm (1995)
- Uncovered (1994)
- Prince Of Jutland (1994)
- Much Ado About Nothing (1993)
- Rachel's Dream (1992)
- One Against The Wind (1991)
- George Michael - Waltz Away Dreaming (1999)
- Faithless - London (Spring 1996)
- Clocks and Whistles - Bush Theatre, Shepherds Bush Green, London (April 1996)
- Sweetheart - Royal Court Upstairs Theatre, Sloane Square, London (February 1996)
- Chekov's The Seagull as Nina - Thelma Holts Theatre Company, Chester (1995)
- Diet Coke (2004)
- GAP - "Denim Invasion" (2002)
- Diana Hendry's The Proposal - BBC Radio 4 (February 1997)
- Jane Austen's Emma
- William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet
- Half-sister of Samantha Beckinsale.
- Kate won the WH Smiths young writers award two years running, for poetry and for short stories. But she decided to go towards acting.
- Selected by Hello Magazine as England's Number #1 Beauty.(2002)
- Lost out to Juliette Binoche for a part in Wuthering Heights (1992).
- Attended grade/primary school at Flexlands Private School in London, England, she took ballet there and it was at this young age that her father died of a heart attack.
- Her maternal grandfather was Burmese.