A Conversation for Building a Blazing Hearth Fire

Peer Review: A870455 - How to build a blazing fire

Post 1

Lady Scott

Entry: How to build a blazing fire - A870455
Author: Lady Scott † Keeper of Long Afternoon Naps - U189338

I wrote this one and linked it to another entry I wrote on firestarters (A863840) which is now in Peer Review, but have since found out that you can't have unedited entries linked to link entries, so that's why I'm submitting this one now.

I think that if they both will eventually edited, they should both be edited at the same time so that the links could remain in both of them. They work in tandem, but at the same time, I couldn't figure out how to combine them into one entry - that would have required both changing the name of the combined entry, and reworking the entries in order to combine them gracefully.


A870455 - How to build a blazing fire

Post 2

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Here are a few more you can link to smiley - smiley

A799383 Making a Tepee Fire
A593534 Campfires


A870455 - How to build a blazing fire

Post 3

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Good, you've submitted this to PR.smiley - smiley

I have a fireplace that I use from time to time in the winter, and I use this sort of method, except that I use coal rather than firewood or logs on top to catch. I criss cross my kindling in a lattice type of fashion, which seems to work well and I scrunch up newspaper and knot it underneath , which means that it has more staying power to light the kindling.

If I add firewood that has been stored outside, often I need to check the pieces for spiders,woodlice, etc before putting it in the fire as I don't want to burn the poor things.

It might be worth adding a reference to coal as well.

NB: I suspect that these entries will be picked within a reasonably short time of each other so that they can be linked.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A870455 - How to build a blazing fire

Post 4

Lady Scott

ZSF - I really know nothing about building a coal fire, although I do know that they don't "blaze" as such, the coals generally just glow red hot. Perhaps *you* could write an article on coal fires, which could then be linked to this one?

Gosho - I could add references to the campfire and teepee fire articles - where would be a good place to put them in? (don't mind me, I'm still sick and can't think clearly enough to figure out where or how to put them in the article)


A870455 - How to build a blazing fire

Post 5

Tango

I haven't had a chance to read it fully, but it looks like a good article. You might consider changing the title to make it clear it is about house-fires not campfires.

Tango


A870455 - How to build a blazing fire

Post 6

Lady Scott

Hmmm... any suggestions? Here (in the US) a "house fire" is when your house burns down smiley - yikes definitely not what I want it to imply!

Trying to keep it simple - "Building a blazing fire in a fireplace" seems a little long and drawn out, but that may be what we end up with. smiley - erm


A870455 - How to build a blazing fire

Post 7

Tango

i agree house-fire isn't the best term, but i couldn't think of anything either, i'll think about it.

Tango


A870455 - How to build a blazing fire

Post 8

Lady Scott

Thanks - I think I'll go change it to the long drawn out title for now. smiley - ok


A870455 - How to build a blazing fire

Post 9

Jimi X

smiley - cheers

I liked it.

Just had our first blaze in the fireplace this past weekend - more to fight the dampness than the cold...

smiley - blue


A870455 - How to build a blazing fire

Post 10

JD

How about a "hearth fire"?


- JD


A870455 - How to build a blazing fire

Post 11

Lady Scott

You mean "Building a Blazing Hearth Fire"?

Does hearth mean the same thing in the UK as here? We use it to refer to the area in front of the fireplace that is not flammable - made of stone, brick, marble or granite.


A870455 - How to build a blazing fire

Post 12

il viaggiatore

The hearth is the floor of the fireplace, which may or may not extend into the room. I think "hearth fire" is an appropriate term for the title.


A870455 - How to build a blazing fire

Post 13

Lady Scott

smiley - ok Changed it to "Building a Blazing Hearth Fire".


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 14

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 15

Jimi X

Congratulations Ma Scott!

smiley - bubbly

Just in time for winter eh? smiley - smiley


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 16

Lady Scott

You can tell what was on my mind as I wrote them...


Stacked 5 cords of wood week before last, and I've been keeping a fire going most of the time for the last couple of weeks.

Oops, need to go feed the fire again! smiley - run


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Building a Blazing Hearth Fire

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more