Soul Music

1 Conversation

Soul music is a form of music which has origins in the southern (US) black traditions of gospel blah blah blah blues blah blah blah etc etc.

Soul music is also one of the best things ever, period. The best kind was that which was produced in the sixties. It is full of more power and energy and joy than any other form of music ever devised, and while sometimes technically simple it has a pure, unadulterated honesty that can't be matched by other, mortal forms of music.

Objective proof? Find about anything by James Brown, Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Aretha Franklin, or any of a few dozen others. Listen to it. If it doesn't get your feet moving, or your head bobbing, or indeed a get a little part of your heart lifted up into the heavens, then you are clinically dead.

"Soul grabs you by the b*****ks and lifts you above the s***e."--from _The Commitments_ by Roddy Doyle

It's that good.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87013

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more