Massive Security Loophole Found in All Web Browsers

4 Conversations


The Internet Engineering Taskforce (IETF) today announced they had discovered a "far-reaching and fundamental" security flaw in many of the web browsers currently available, including the new 4.0 versions of Netscape's and Microsoft's flagship browser products. "This loophole could seriously compromise the integrity of user data, if exploited by an unscrupulous webmaster." said Bill Robinson, a consultant and advisor to the IETF.


The details of the possible attack were announced in the usual way in usenet newsgroups by the IETF. The bulletin states that "any browser that displays HTML pages" may be vulnerable to the loophole. "An unscrupulous webmaster may exploit this loophole by placing a message on any HTML page which instructs the user to format their system's hard disk." says the announcement.


Robinson stated that the code preys on users that don't take strict security precautions, and that have trouble breathing with their mouths closed.



One possible version of the 'rogue' code


The IETF recommended that Netscape users tick the "Disable Java" option in the Netscape preferences dialog. "It won't do a damn bit of good," said Robinson, "but it's about the only piece of Netscape user interface that you can use without causing the damn thing to crash and burn, so what the hell - it gives them something to do."


Microsoft claimed they would have a fix for MSIE available within 48 Microsoft hours.


Linux users remain unaffected by the security threat as they don't have any data anyone gives a toss about anyway.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A81

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more