A Conversation for Throw Away Economy

Charge per Bin Bag?

Post 1

Toccata

Not quite sure how they will enforce this. smiley - erm

Residential areas, such as flats have a communial bin areas, so how do you know whos is who?

And with 'traditional' suburban houses whats to stop people putting their bin bags outside somebody elses house come collection day?

I'm all for easier recycling. My local lot used to have a separate collection for cardboard & paper, but they have since stopped it smiley - cross


Charge per Bin Bag?

Post 2

Pastey

I've no idea how they think they could enforce it. But these were the ideas that were being published for thoughtssmiley - erm

smiley - rose


Charge per Bin Bag?

Post 3

Mina

I'm not sure that charging for something that is currently free is 100%. smiley - erm Isn't 100% of nothing - nothing?

I'd be happy to pay if they would collect recycling though.


Charge per Bin Bag?

Post 4

Pastey

The 100% increase is in the landfill tax that the local councils have to pay. Currently set at £13 per tonne, about to rise to £14 per tonne, and now suggested to rise to between £30 and £40 per tonne.

The cost of collection and disposal is part of the break down in the Council Tax we pay. Any increase that the local councils get will almost certainly be passed onto residents as an increase in that part of the Council Taxsmiley - erm

Our refuse collection services aren't free, and look set to rise.
Rather than decrease the tax/cost of alternative methods to make them more appealing, it seems preferable to raise the tax/cost of the current methods to make them less appealing.

smiley - rose


Charge per Bin Bag?

Post 5

Mina

Sorry Pastey, in that case I misunderstood. It seems to have been a long day...


Charge per Bin Bag?

Post 6

Pastey

I know the feeling about long days, I'm having to code a whole chunk of the intranet here in a language I'm learning as I go alongsmiley - erm

Want bed... want weekend...

smiley - rose


Charge per Bin Bag?

Post 7

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

My local caouncil does do kerbside recyling for some of the town, but I live in a flat, and the service isn't available to us at all. I have called the council about it but they, and the management agent, and they agree that it is not possible to store and collect separated waste from flats. smiley - steam

We do what we can, but with tiny living space there simply isn't the room to store separated waste until there is enough to take to the recyling bins at the tip. We do recycle cans and bottles, but shamefully don't recycle the free papers that we get each week. I feel guilty about this but there just isn't a practical way around it.

I get the feeling that any solution they introduce will punnish people like me smiley - sadface

I like the system they have in switzerland where the bin men only take rubbish in special bags and these bags cost £5 each (most of which is tax). People there recycle practically everything, but again it is collected for them. If we had adequate recycling facilities here I would support that system for the UK.

It is a toughie certainly...

smiley - puffk


Charge per Bin Bag?

Post 8

Pastey

A toughie certainly.
It seems that we do want to recycle, but it's not easy. So rather than charging us more to make the effort, making it easier would help encourage better.

smiley - rose


Charge per Bin Bag?

Post 9

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

What really makes me smiley - steam is that my council tax went up to pay for kerbside recyling that I can't use!

If they really do want to levy additional charges these should be against people that have the services provided and choose not to use them. My mum drives me mad because she won't recycle even though her council will come and take it from her door - she says the baskets they provide aren't closeable so everyone's stuff falls out and makes the place look awful. There is definitely a better solution to that than opting out - a few extra charges would definitely make her rethink her approach.

With our flats, I don't see why one of the big bins can't be designated for paper, that would account for masses of what gets thrown out and it would be easy to separate - everyone would simply have to walk to the bin with their papers (not far) rather than chuck them in the bin.

If there were additional charges then perhaps people would put more pressure on manufacturers to use less packaging, and to stop the endless tide of unwanted junk that comes through the door.

Making it easier would help, but for people like my mum there has to be some sort of punnishment for not using the services provided when they *are* in place. Hopefully then the cost to the council for landfill will decrease by enough to fund the recycling, and the shortfall will be made up by the people that willfully don't help.

smiley - headhurts now from thinking about tough issues on a friday when I really want to go home...


Charge per Bin Bag?

Post 10

Pastey

I think that the charge for not recycling when it's available is a good idea.

As for rubbish falling out, around our way the street cleaners come along and clean the street Wednesday morning, then the binmen come along Wednesday lunch time and make it messy again.

smiley - rose


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Throw Away Economy

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more