Kanyawara Chimpanzee Blog (Harvard University)

2 Conversations

Among the areas that the Departement of Anthropology at Harvard deals with is primate behavioural ecology.

At a long-term research site in Kibale Forest National Park, Uganda chimpanzees are followed on foot as they move around, eat, groom, have sex, hunt and fight (in no particular order). This study was started in 1987 by Professor Richard Wrangham and is still under way today.

Chimps live in what is called a fision-fussion society and the society that is being studied in particular by the researchers from Harvard is called the Kanyawara community.

In January 2006 for the first time, the Department of Anthropology is producing a blog from the field. This is a first attempt to present research work in such web format using the personal experiences of the scientist while out with the chimps. The aim is to give a perspective to students and others, who have interest in animal behaviour what it's like to work in the field as a primatologist.

More on: http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~primates/

Questions and comments are welcome: [email protected]

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A8319080

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more