Footnotes and Punctuation

0 Conversations

It says in the guidelines:

The position of the footnote is also important: insert it directly after the word you intend to add the footnote to, before any punctuation or space after that word.

This makes sense where the punctuation concerned is a comma1, (or a parenthesis2), or a full stop3.

But where a footnote adjoins a pling, it doesn't look so good like that4!

It would be better in such cases to place the footnote after the pling!5

Similarly, which is better with a question-mark - this6?

Or this?7

And what do we do about 'single quotes8'? Wouldn't it be better 'like this'9?

And similarly, if we used "double quotes10", again, it might be preferable "like this"11.

And finally, there's the question of the ellipsis12...

Whether 'tis nobler to have ellipsis interruptus, or ellipsis contiguous...13

And, horror of horrors, what if we have both an ellipsis and a question-mark14...15?16

Or even an ellipsis and a question-mark after "quotes"...?

Discussion

This entry relates to this Conversation.

1Yep, that's a comma, and no mistake.2Why can't you have a childhesis?3As is the case here.4Do you see what I mean?5What do you reckon?6In strict accordance with the guidelines.7The alternative.8This is how the guidelines say it should be done.9Hmm.. that's between punctuation marks...10It doesn't look right this way.11At least, I think so.12I just call it the dot-dot-dot.13With a blank footnote.14!15!!16!!!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A823998

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more