Scunthorpe United Squad 2003-04

2 Conversations

This is primarily for the benefit of Fantasy Football participants, but may be of interest to others - you never know.

Tommy Evans

Acrobatic goalkeeper, a Scunthorpe stalwart for several seasons now. Occasionally lacks strength coming out for crosses/corners.

Kevin Sharp

A left-back with pedigree, having played for Auxerre, Leeds and Wigan. Strong in attack and will hopefully make up for Andy Dawson's untimely departure to the scum across the river.

Cliff Byrne

Hopefully, a bit of a star in the making. Only 21, but is already figuring on the verges of the Republic of Ireland team. Fast, good going forward and a great crosser of the ball. With Sharp, should easily make up the best full-back combination in the division.

Mark Jackson

Bright young centre-back who has played his way firmly into the first-team over the last three seasons. Flexible enough to play in midfield and good from set pieces. Suffers from lack of height, but has been a regular star this season.

Nathan Stanton

Has made the right-back slot his own last season, but will now probably switch to centre-back after Byrne's arrival, unless McCombe comes in. Strong in the tackle and useful height.

Peter Beagrie

A living legend in and around Glanford Park. Superb crosser of the ball, a wizard of the dribble, coach, captain and general all-round hero. Is injury prone, but still does backflips when his ankle's OK.

IRichard Kell

Scunthorpe's record signing, a dynamic playmaker. Like to sit deep in midfield; tackles hard, passes well.

Matty Sparrow

Aggressive young defensive midfielder in the David Batty mould, and about as talented.

Wayne Graves

Diligent sitting on the bench for many seasons has finally seen Wayne into the right-wing spot, but the smart balls all go to the other side of the pitch.

Paul Hayes

Gifted young prodigy who will go on to big things. Devastatingly fast, brilliant pouncer of through-balls. Now the occupant of the Number 9 shirt following Carruthers' dirty U-turn on the club.

Steve Torpey

Big white donkey with a knack for getting his head onto the end of Beagrie's crosses. Partnership with Hayes promises much in the Shearer-Bellamy mould (only maybe not quite as talented).

Steven McLean

An exciting young thing signed on a year's loan from Rangers. If Lawsy sees sense, he'll drop Torpey to the bench and start with the young, but pacy and dynamic front pair of Hayes and McLean.

And on the bench...

Adam 'Andy' Capp

Youth-team goalkeeper - the only backup for Evans. Very agile; looks to be a hot prospect.

Jamie McCombe

Young, flexible defender who should see his fair share of first-team chances. A strong man-marker for specialist strikers.

Lee Ridley

Frustrated left/centre-back who keeps getting to the edge of the first team before being denied. Very strong defensively with a cracking long-throw. Claims only to have ever scored one goal in his lifetime.

Terry Barwick

Central defender/midfielder who may rotate with Sparrow this season. Very short with a silly blonde mullet.

Alex Calvo-Garcia

Very highly rated nationally, this Spanish player has just sworn his love for the Iron by signing a new 3-year contract. Talented dribbler and playmaker as well as scorer of crucial goals.

Andy Parton

Young forward waiting for a chance to take Paul Hayes' place. Looks about 12.

Lee Featherstone

Midfielder/forward. May not even make it as far the bench.

Andy Butler

Huge young centre-back who has been outstanding since Jackson's injury and will go on to great things.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A822881

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more