Some Party Game Suggestions

1 Conversation

Up and Down the River

Requires: Standard 52-card deck of playing cards

This is a simple game to play and understand. All players receive 4 cards from the deck at random, all of which remain face-up, and are not moved during the game. One player is assigned to be the dealer, who is also the caller.

Once these cards are passed out, the dealer lays face-up the first card from the remaining deck and calls, 'Take one'. All players who have a card of matching value must then take one drink. Any player who has multiply-occuring card values in their set of 4 will be required to take the corresponding multiple amount of drinks. The next card is then laid down, for which the dealer will say, 'Take two'. Corresponding drinks are then imbibed as in the previous step. This continues through two more cards, up to the 'Take four' step. This 4-step process is known as going 'up the river'.

The 5th card to be laid down will have the dealer calling out, 'Give four'. Now the game shows its conniving side that most drinking games tend to have to keep things lively and fun. Anyone having a card of matching value must assign 4 drinks among the other players, one apiece, all 4 to one player, etc. Players may not assign drinks to themselves (this rule can be suspended depending on local house rules and number of players). The 6th card has the dealer calling, 'Give three'; the 7th, 'Give two'; the 8th, 'Give one'. This 4-step process is known as going 'down the river'.

The dealer now returns to the 'Take one' step, and continues though the deck repeatedly, until enough folks lose interest and move on to something else.


Variation 1:

This variation consists of using a Pinochle deck of cards instead of the standard 52-card deck. This can result in fantastic consumptions of alcohol that can close down a party early if played for too long However, this variant is almost never played due to the lack of available Pinochle decks.

Variation 2:

In this additional variation, the players, instead of using a Pinochle deck, go up and down the river by twos ("Take two/four/six/eight", "Give eight/six/four/two"). Also, it is usually never played since it is usually suggested either too early or too late in the evening for most peoples' tastes.





Biz-Bang

Requires: A little mathematical skill

The rules themselves are clear enough, proficiency does not come easy. Indeed it could be known as another one of those games that takes 'a minute to learn, a lifetime to master' - although mastery of any drinking game certainly defeats the true purpose.

All game participants (of which there should be several, at least 4) gather in a ring, and one person is assigned to begin counting off at 1, with the counting-off continuing around the ring in increments of one.

When a number comes to a player to count off, and that number is either a multiple of 3 (3, 6, 9, 12, ...) OR has a 3 in it (31, 32, 33, 34, ...), that player will instead say "Biz". Do not say "Biz" twice if both conditions are met, one "Biz" will do.

When a number comes to a player to count off, and that number is either a multiple of 5 (5, 10, 15, ...), OR has a 5 in it (51, 52, 53, 54, ...), that player will instead say "Bang". Again, only one "Bang" will suffice even if both conditions are met.

Finally, when a number comes to a player to count off, and that number is either a multiple of 3 or has a 3 in it, AND it is also either a multple of 5 or has a 5 in it, that player will instead say "Biz-Bang". The first few Biz-Bang numbers are: 15, 30, 35, 45, 51, 53, 54, 57, 60, ...

Penalties are doled out when a player says the wrong thing during the count-off. Penalties may be one drink, or several depending upon the mood of the party and the contestants. Counting always starts over at 1 again with the player who committed the error.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A819795

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more