A Conversation for Monarchy Within a Democracy

No Subject

Post 1

Flibbertigibbet

Personally I support the monarchy for no other reason than if it ain't broke don't fix it. There are many convincing arguments against it and it's very difficult to defend objectively but the fact is that it serves it's purpose. The House of Lords was a simillar case in point, I have no idea where NuLabour are going with that. I envisage national parliaments for England, Wales and Scotland eventually with the House of Lords as a second chamber that ratifies legislation for the national parliaments, that's the only way I can see it working unless we go back to just being Britain again.


No Subject

Post 2

Stuart

Hi Flibbertigibbet,

Don't you mean just England again. Btitain includes Sotland and Wales.

I agree with the setiments of your post, something will have to be done to get the balance back between the national esemblies of Wales and Scotland. The problem is the Tony and most of his cronnies are of Scottish origen, so there is not a lot of insentive to do anything.

Regards

Stuart


No Subject

Post 3

Flibbertigibbet

No I mean Britain, we either go back to being Britain or have an assymetric federation of British states.

I agree that there ar a lot of Scots at the helm at the moment but I think it's a bit too simplistic to blame it on that. The English themselves are too benign and don't seem to care that they are second classs citizens and contribute more taxes and receive less back. The insentive for Tony should come from a backlash in the polls but it doesn't partly because no mainstream party has yet advocated an English executive.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Monarchy Within a Democracy

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more