Naming Your Pet

2 Conversations

Names are very important. They tell us a lot about a person. Or rather about the persons namer. They differentiate one person from another and are a much more polite way of remembering someone as opposed to calling them 'that guy with the big nose'. So the process of naming someone is a very important task. The naming of a pet doubly so.

Why? you ask. The reason is that the pet is not going to complain about the name they have. They are not going to turn 13 and decide they would rather be called Paprika and skip off to the name changing centre. No, the pets' name is for life. They learn what they are called very quickly and have been proven adverse to name changes.

In addition the naming of your pet is a reflection of yourself. For instance if you named your canine companion Rover people may assume that you are an average person with little imagination. If however you name it Crackleberry the Third, King of the Bushes people may think you are a little crazy. (Which you may well be).

Many pet names are popular and well liked by children. For instance Fluffy for a cat, Rover for a dog, and Mr Fish for a goldfish. Do not feel obligated to stick to such boundaries. Many people like to name their pet after their favourite character out of a book or movie. Some name their little friends after a type of food or drink (particulary alcohol) or even their favourite car.

One more point to keep in mind is the opinions of others. For example in some circles it may be perfectly acceptable to call your dog Froofroo. In other neighbourhoods you would risk your life.

So to summarise; choosing a name for your pet is a very important decision, it involves time, care and a good look at your enviroment. However keeping a sense of humour is also vital and will likely ease tensions between yourself and anyone else who happens to disagree with your choice. Your pet will love you for the name you choose.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A806410

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more