A Conversation for Cod Philosophy with Otto Fisch

Failing to practise what you preach is not hypocrisy

Post 1

kuzushi


Interesting article.

However, it may be worth pointing out what hypocrisy actually is, rather than what it is often perceived to be.

<>

It may be understood that way by many, but that's not what hypocrisy is.

Hypocrisy is not simply an inconsistency between what is advocated and what is done. Samuel Johnson made this point when he wrote about the misuse of the charge of "hypocrisy" in Rambler No. 14:

"Nothing is more unjust, however common, than to charge with hypocrisy him that expresses zeal for those virtues which he neglects to practice; since he may be sincerely convinced of the advantages of conquering his passions, without having yet obtained the victory, as a man may be confident of the advantages of a voyage, or a journey, without having courage or industry to undertake it, and may honestly recommend to others, those attempts which he neglects himself."


Failing to practise what you preach is not hypocrisy

Post 2

kuzushi


Hypocrisy is pretending to be something you are not.
If I say smoking is a vile habit, but still smoke, that doesn't make me a hypocrite, unless I pretend to be a non-smoker. Then I'd be a hypocrite.


Key: Complain about this post

Failing to practise what you preach is not hypocrisy

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more