A Conversation for The Grim Reaper

Writing Workshop: A794540 - The Grim Reaper

Post 1

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

Entry: The Grim Reaper - A794540
Author: Bels (in 4 Proms this year: 27 Jul (BBC4 TV), 11 Aug (BBC2 TV), 29 Aug, 1 Sep - all live on R3 / Internet, search BBCi: Proms - U188050

Would appreciate any further insights into this fascinating character.
28.07.02


A794540 - The Grim Reaper

Post 2

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

There's some good stuff around that you can use:
A470882 Death (including the conversation F57918?thread=106128)
A470710 Lucifer

smiley - ok


A794540 - The Grim Reaper

Post 3

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")


Hi Bels,

This is a what I remember from an Eng Lit lecture about five years ago.

The renaissance grim reaper often appeared in pictures (in England at any rate) with the rich and powerful, and was called "memento mori" (remember death / mortality ??) - I think it was supposed to be a kind of humbling factor. Apparently this has something to do with the graveyard scene in Hamlet, but at that point my memory fades.

Perhaps it might be worth mentioning cultural references to the grim reaper - Monty Python's Meaning of Life, Pratchet etc, but perhaps this might be over-long and under-interesting!

Good luck with this!

Otto


A794540 - The Grim Reaper

Post 4

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

Bossel, thanks for those suggestions. I had seen those entries, but fear that any pickings there would be thin. The conversation you suggest is in fact massively ill-informed. Oberon is the fairy king, and I thought everyone knows the boatman is Charon and the Greek personification of death is Thanatos, but there you go...

Otto, yes, a skull would be a memento mori. Alas, poor Yorick! There are lots of literary/cultural references to TGR (I quoted a good one from Wilfred Owen in one of my entries, for example).

I shall try and find some amusing quotes about old age and death.

Any more suggestions?


A794540 - The Grim Reaper

Post 5

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Perhaps worth noting: Death was cheated only once in history, by Sisyphus (see A211050)

smiley - skull


A794540 - The Grim Reaper

Post 6

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

er, well, said entry doesn't exactly explain *why* Sisyphus was condemned smiley - erm


A794540 - The Grim Reaper

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

Bels, it is hard to imagine any discussion of this subject without a mention of Terry Pratchett. Pratchett is England's most popular author at the moment and Death features in every one of his books. In some such as Mort, Reaper Man and Soul Music he is a main character, but he plays cameo roles in all the others. He is the traditional black-cloaked skeleton with the scythe, one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse, and he rides a pale horse.


A794540 - The Grim Reaper

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

Death is also number 13 in the Major Arcana of the Tarot Pack, usually shown as an unclothed skeleton with a scythe.


A794540 - The Grim Reaper

Post 9

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Could it be that this one is quoted from Monty Python or so?
A705089 The grim reaper sketch


A794540 - The Grim Reaper

Post 10

FABT - new venture A815654 Angel spoiler page

Very interesting entry.

It seems to end a bit abruptly, from the earlier detail I was expecting something longer.


Something that might be considered is the medieval (european) view of death, which is suprisingly different to our own. my recolections are sadly vague but there are some good books on the subject. If you are interested I can try to find out some titles for you.........i must still have loads of bibliographies lurking around somewhere.

FABT


A794540 - The Grim Reaper

Post 11

FABT - new venture A815654 Angel spoiler page

i had a quick look on a uni catalogue and i reckon that varying combinations of 'death' 'ritual' 'belief' and 'medieval' will find you a lot of useful books.

i got 'medieval death; ritual and representation' by paul binski coming up on the search, but i dont rememeber reading it so i dont know how useful it would be, if you like i'll see if i have any notes at home with bibliographies in......i know i had them at one point, it's just a case of if they are still hiding in my room.......


A794540 - The Grim Reaper

Post 12

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

Bossel, Sisyphus was condemned to eternal torture because he seized and bound Thanatos (Death). He is not considered to have cheated Death in the end, because he can never have the peace and freedom from pain that Death brings.

There are other people similarly condemned, notably Tantalus, who stole the food of the gods and made himself immortal by eating it. He is eternally tantalised by food and water placed just in front of him but always receding just as he reaches out for it.

Gnomon, there are of course countless literary/cultural references to death and the TGR throughout the ages, not to mention paintings and music too. The list would be of encyclopaedic proportions, I fear. I have discussed what I think are the two major influences on our (Western) perception of TGR - the Judaeo-Islamic tradition, and the Graeco-Roman. Of course there are all sorts of Oriental traditions too.

FABT, I agree it needs working on stylistically. I wanted to see if there was any more content needed first.


A794540 - The Grim Reaper

Post 13

FABT - new venture A815654 Angel spoiler page

so shall i have a look for those lists then?


A794540 - The Grim Reaper

Post 14

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

Frankly, FABT, I only wanted to give a general overview of TGR, where he may have originated, how he has been depicted, and what he symbolises or personifies now, rather than do a complete survey of attitudes and philosophy of death throughout the ages, or of the abundant literary/cultural/artistic references. As you point out, whole books have been written about such matters, and I am sure several PhDs awarded. This is one of my shortest entries ever, but I don't really think I need to start opening floodgates.


A794540 - The Grim Reaper

Post 15

FABT - new venture A815654 Angel spoiler page

ok....guess that told me then.


A794540 - The Grim Reaper

Post 16

Spiff

Hi Bels, see you're getting into the WW spirit with a piece of your own! smiley - smiley

I'm afraid I'm going to be rather negative about this piece - smiley - sadface

You seem to have devoted most of it to a resumé of early Greek mythology (ie the beginning of mythological 'history' for the ancient Greeks)

I for one *don't* regard this to be the main association with TGR (can't get into that abbrev.!)

In short, I wanted more stuff on the guy in the cloak and less on Kronos and Rhea!

It was all very interesting - but didn't do what it said on the tin! smiley - biggrin

Having seen various posts from you, I feel confident you won't take my comments badly; but just in case...

Don't Panic!

cya
spiff


A794540 - The Grim Reaper

Post 17

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

Hi Spiff

Well I do have at least two other entries in WW at the moment, and another one that recently transferred from WW to PR!

Actually I quite agree it's too heavy on the Kronos stuff, which I think FABT was getting at, and which is what I meant about style.

It probably needs some surgery. I'll get my scythe out later.

smiley - smiley

Bels


A794540 - The Grim Reaper

Post 18

FABT - new venture A815654 Angel spoiler page

i love the fact that the emperor in starwars looks a lot like the grim reaper


A794540 - The Grim Reaper

Post 19

Spiff


I'd go further and say that characters in big black cloaks are *always* creepy...

surely this is as much at the origins of the Grim Reaper's apparel as anything


A794540 - The Grim Reaper

Post 20

lisbonlioness

Sorry, I don't want to be delicate, but Death is one of the four riders of the apocRalypse, and the pale horse is Binky- I am not right sure if this should be mentioned smiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more