A Conversation for The London Stone

A791101 - The London Stone

Post 21

Ormondroyd

smiley - doh I've used my picks now, so I hope another Scout will pick this fine entry when it's finished!


A791101 - The London Stone

Post 22

Orcus

... smiley - winkeye


A791101 - The London Stone

Post 23

coelacanth

Right. I've been through this thread and incorporated suggestions if I thought it needed it.

smiley - star2 Bels
"reduce the volume of verbiage"
You should have seen the length before I finally submitted it! I'm a wordy person and I've only just realised that since everything I write is lecture length, this probably is too. I'm going to leave it more or less as it is. That way an unedited version exists in my own words. If a sub ed wants to cut it then that's their decision. However I hope not.

"cut out the first paragraph and the first footnote"
The first paragraph is the overview. Many Guide Entries have it. That way someone can just read it before deciding to continue with the entry. So I'll leave it. The first footnote is an explanation for non Londoners so I feel it needs to be there.

"cut out lengthy history lessons"
That'll be the whole entry then?

smiley - star5 Azara
Drop 2 footnotes.
The American zero one.
Gone. smiley - ok

"The Devon Stone information deserves to be an entry in its own right."
I agree. Any volunteers? Until there is and I can link to it, the footnote will have to stay. Edited Guide entries can be re-edited in the light of new ones as long as someone remembers, so (if this entry is selected) the footnote could be removed at a later date.

The Brutus legend can't really be dated, it's just "pre Roman". It remains a legend and there is no basis in fact as far as I know. Its just there to show why the Stone has an alternative name. However, since it comes before the King Lud legend, I put it first. If I moved the stone circle explanation to the start of that section it would muck up the time line.

smiley - star6 Spiff
I've reworded the first line but the word "pavements" needs to be there to echo the title of A310898 (not a brilliant entry but it's in the Edited Guide).

You are right about the ley line reference. I shouldn't assume people know what they are, neither should I assume they actually exist. I've included a link for the theoretical St Pauls ley line. The Stone isn't quite on it any more but used to be. If it is thought that the reference should be removed altogether as pure speculation, I'm happy with that. On the other hand, anyone want to write Guide Entry about ley lines?

"all kinds of things worthy of whole entries in themselves"
Very true!

smiley - star9 Azara
Split or prune?
My preference - neither.

smiley - star19 Ormondroyd
Typo fixed and apologies for it being there in the first place. smiley - blush

I think that's it now. Thank you to whoever said it was well researched especially with the h2g2 links. You mean there are people who submit to Peer Review without doing all this? smiley - winkeye
smiley - bluefish


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 24

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 25

Orcus

Congratulations Coely smiley - bubbly

A brilliant article and something I'll have to track down next time I'm in the old Smoke.

Orcus


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 26

Orcus

Congratulations Coely smiley - bubbly

A brilliant article and something I'll have to track down next time I'm in the old Smoke.

Orcus


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 27

Mina

Well done that Researcher. smiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 28

Spiff


Yep, this was a good 'un. smiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 29

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Woo-

and indeed -

hoo!

smiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 30

Ormondroyd

Yay! Well done! smiley - biggrinsmiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 31

coelacanth

*sips smiley - bubbly*

Thanks everyone!
smiley - bluefish


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 32

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

I've been sent your entry to edit...looks goodsmiley - smiley


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 33

coelacanth

Why thank you. smiley - smiley I followed the writing guidelines carefully because I think it's a poor show for a researcher not to, if they can. So I've checked all the speeling, I think my grandma is OK and I've paid the sin tax. All the relevant h2g2 links to Edited Entries are there and the external ones are non commercial -unless you count the pub smiley - ale. I couldn't decide whether it would be better to have a picture with few words, or words with no picture, so that's up to you.
smiley - bluefish


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 34

Mina

A picture of the stone? What a good idea...


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 35

coelacanth

I was referring there to a picture of the pub! If you look at the external links, I have given 2 for it. One has a nice picture but the words are not helpful. The other link tells you more about the pub but doesn't show you the outside of it.

The entry contains several links to pictures of the Stone itself. I've written these to open in a new window (for IE users) although I don't know what the Guide recommendation is on this.

I did see a very dramatic drawing of Jack Cade striking the Stone in a book, but couldn't find this online anywhere. Apart from that, it's just a small lump of dirty rock, so a picture would be a little boring!
smiley - bluefish


Key: Complain about this post