My Top 50

4 Conversations

"I hope you any researcher who reads this gets to know a little about who I am."

1. Badly Drawn Boy: The Hour of Bewilderbeast (The Shining)

An Amazing song! Equal to the style of McCartney in the way it entwines so many musical elements.

2. Four Star Mary: Thrown To The Wolves (Dilate)

A band barely any Brits have heard of and one I love, they've just released their second album and this song is a cracking start to their first.

3. Fiona Apple: Where The Pawn (I Know)

Angry fem music, just listen to the lyrics and you'll understand.

4. Nirvana: Live In New York (All Apologies)

In Utero in my mind is the second best of Nirvana's albums, Nevermind being their crowning glory, but it's hugely poignant and in this song and others from the album you can see the inner turmoil of Kurt Cobain. And it's bloody good live.

5. The Strokes: Is This It? (Hard To Explain)

One of the past two years biggest musical creations, this band was so hyped up I'm surprised they haven't already got a greatest hits out and gone the way of so many other good bands after that release. This song unlike the hype that went with Last Nite was the one that stuck in my mind as being the best.

6. Oasis: (What's The Story) Morning Glory? (She's Electric)

I'll get stoned from at least one researcher for this addition to my top 100 list, but my primary and early teens were spent listening to this as the only vaguely decent music. They may take riffs and lyrics from many a band, but at least they're listenable to.

7. The Beatles: 1967-1970 (Hey Jude)

Take a sad song, make it better, and let it into your heart...need I say more?

8. Alanis Morissette: Jagged Little Pill (You Learn)

A good point to make about life, you live, you learn, you love, you learn, you cry, you learn...you lose you learn.

9. Incubus: Make Yourself [CD2 Acoustic Version] (Drive )

I've bought three of their albums, half of them I just skip through, but you can certainly find some gems amongst the crap.

10. Greenday: International Superhits! (Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life))

The lyrics to this song, mean a lot at this transitional point in my life.

11. The Beta Band: The 3EP's (Dry the Rain)

The 3EP's is simply a great album. And Dry the Rain was the first song I heard of this great band.

12. Lit: A Place In The Sun (Perfect Day)

After Nirvana this was one of the first decent albums I bought, this band revolutionised the way thought of music, it made me look for the good things in music, rather than the popular ones.

13. Lenny Kravitz: Greatest Hits (Fly Away [acoustic])

Talent bloke. Great song. Better as an acoustic track as it's not as fussy. Simple is good.

14. The Hives: Your New Favourite Band (Untutored Youth)

"Just for the crack," as people in Blair would say at the moment.

15. Tenacious D: Tenacious D (City Hall)

Hilarious album and I can happily say to the people I know, "I bought it before the rest of you!"

16. Weezer: Green Album (Glorious Day/Girlfriend/I Do)

I know everyone's favourite Weezer album is Pinkerton, I don't have that one and I just love the slightly more mellow but loud guitar in these tracks.

17. Matchbox 20: Yourself or Someone Like You (Real World/3am)

Someone once told me that they would refuse to listen to Matchbox20 because it was what their mum listened to...well my mums taste is made up of stealing my CDs and I don't care what people say, this band are really good.

18. James Taylor: New Moon Shine (Like Everything She Knows)

If I could find a bloke who could play the introduction, the guitar solo to this song as well as its creator, I'd swoon. This song gives me tingles all the way up and down my spine.

19. Aretha Franklin: Bridget Jones's Diary Soundtrack (Respect)

Every self respecting singleton should love this song...so I do.

20. Aimee Mann: Bachelor No. 2 or, the last remains of the Dodo (Red Vines)

Aimee Mann I tend to find a little sad, I'm not often in the right mind set to listen to it, but she's a stunning writer and this song makes me feel happy and sad.

21. Kathryn Williams: Little Black Number (Soul to Feet)

Found as a demo at the bottom of my sisters cupboard and narrowly missed being thrown into the black bag of rubbish. I'm glad I saved it.

22. Letters to Cleo: Go! (Vedi Vedu Shining)

No one I know knows this band. They'd probably hate them. Good because I think they're great and I don't want to have my friends telling me otherwise.

23. REM: Automatic for the People (Everybody Hurts)

Makes me want to cry.

24. U2: The Joshua Tree (With or Without You)

U2 at their finest. Before Bono got to big for his sun glasses.

25. King Adora: Vibrate You (The Law)

I play this album because I love it and it's funny...plus my sister hates it so I torment her! Mwhahaha!

26. Sheryl Crow: Bridget Jones's Diary Sountrack (Kiss the Girl)

Love the relivence to women.

27. Nerf Herder: How to Meet Girls (5000 Ways to Die)

Basically a list of how to die, and it's deceptive.

28. Kim Ferron: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Soundtrack (Nothing But You)

Why doesn't this girl have an album!?!?!

29. The Beatles: Let It Be (Across the Universe)

Fiona Apple did a great cover of this song for the film Pleasant Film, but you can't beat the genius of Lennon and McCartney.

30. Sheila Nicholls: High Fidelity Soundtrack (Fallen for You)

I'd have a hard enough time pronouncing Guggenheim normally this lass has to sing it! Plus it's in my favourite film High Fidelity (by that soundtrack!)

31. The Eels: Shrek Soundtrack (My Beloved Monster)

Pretty.

32. Half-cocked: Shrek Soundtrack (Bad Reputation)

I listen to this every time I've have a fight with a friend or have PMS because it's loud, bouncy and cheers me up while calming me down.

33. Hole: Celebrity Skin (Dying)

Courtney Love I salute you!

34. Travis: The Man Who (Why Does It Always Rain of Me)

Bit of Scottish pride, Fran's cute, they're from where most of my family is from and it's just a great song and a great album.

35. Queen feat. David Bowie: Grosse Pointe Blank Soundtrack (Under Pressure)

Two great musicians coming together to make a great song.

36. David Gray: White Ladders (This Year Love)

This was a brilliant album, but this is the song that sticks in my head.

37. John Lennon: Imagine (Imagine)

38. Red Hot Chili Peppers: Californication (Scar Tissue)

I can play the opening riff to this song and it was one of the first songs I learned…although I haven't learned many at all.

39. Jimi Hendrix: Electric Ladyland (Voodoo Chile)

No one can criticise this song!

40. Fuel: Corrosion [Various] (Haemorrhage In my Hands)

A deceptive song about love and heartache.

41. Electric Soft Parade: Holes in the Wall (Something's Got To Give)

There's another song at the end of this album which I really love but the name escapes me at the moment.

42. Badly Drawn Boy: About a Boy (Walking Out of Stride)

Walking out of stride…sometimes the way I feel around my friends, like I'm on a completely different wave length.

43. The Coral: The Coral (Dreaming of You/Waiting for the Heartache)

One of the best albums of 2002 and these are my favourite tracks.

44. McLusky: McLusky Do Dallas (Lightsabre Cocksucking Blues)

Mwhahaha! Not only is the name of this song brilliant but it's a bloody funny song!

45. Muse: Origins Of Symmetry (Feeling Good)

Not a patch on the original but this revved up version with it's heavy guitar riffs and weird voiced vocalist is great too.

46. Velvet Underground: High Fidelity Soundtrack (Who Loves the Sun)

Everyone seen the add with "I'm sticking to you, because I'm made out of glue…" they're responsible!

47. Joni Mitchell: Friends Soundtrack (Big Yellow Taxi remix)

My parents loved the original and said the remix wasn't very good, I disagree, for a generation growing up considering this too be old hat, this gives the perfect vibe for us to get into it.

48. Barenaked Ladies: Born on a Pirate Ship (Shoebox)

A shoebox of life? I suppose in some ways people do keep their memories in boxes, or at least memorials to them, I guess I do considering I keep a diary.

49. Blink 182: Take Off Your Pants and Jackets (Stay Together For The Kids)

Listen to the lyrics…it's a good statement…and although I the Tom Delong Fender, I prefer Marks voice.

50. George Harrison: All Things Must Pass (My Sweet Lord)

The understated Beatles in my mind. My favourite of his solo songs although, in music, films and numerous other ventures he will always be a truly brilliant artist.

[Well 50's hard! So let's go for 100!smiley - bigeyes]

51. Miles Davies: The Talented Mr Ripley Soundtrack (Nature Boy)

I don't always like Jazz, I appreciate it, I do love this song though, Bowie did a good version for Moulin Rouge.

52. Supergrass: Supergrass (Mary)

Sergeant Mushroom will love me for this.

53. Eva Cassidy: Acoustic 2 [Various] (Songbird)

Wow is the only response to the voice of this tragically departed singer songwriter.

54. Brendan Benson: Acoustic 2 [Various] (Metarie)

Lovely song.

55. Paul Wellar: Acoustic 2 [Various] (You Do Something To Me [live])

This song doesn't give me tingles but it ones of those songs that just makes you sigh happily.

56. The Offspring: The Faculty Soundtrack (The Kids Aren't Alright)

You grow up in the same place with the same people and the same attitudes, do any of us really know the people around us?

57. David Bowie: (Changes)

Everything's gonna change this year.

58. Marc Cohn: Marc Cohn (Walking in Memphis)

I've had this song pounding through my wall from my sisters stereo, after thing hundredth playing you kinda get to like it, liked it before too.

59. Frank Sinatra: Frank Sinatra - 20 Classic Tracks (High Hopes)

This song makes me laugh and cry, as when I was very young and we visited my grandparents, my grandpa would play this song on LP and dance around with his three granddaughters. He died in 1992 when I was 7 and it wasn't until 2002 I remembered the song and the good times.

60. Strange Fruit feat. Jimmy Nail: Still Crazy Soundtrack (The Flame Still Burns/Around the Word/Bird on the Wire/What Might Have Been)

My favourite songs from my all time favourite movie, Still Crazy.

61. Pixies: (Where Is My Mind?)

I have no idea where my mind is half the time.

62. No Doubt: Tragic Kingdom (Sunday Morning)

No Doubt I thought were a great band until they released their latest album, Tragic Kingdom is far superior.

63. Stiff Little Fingers: All the Best (Suspect device/Nobody's Hero/Alternative Ulster)

Yay for punk classics!

64. Idlewild: The Remote Part (In Remote Part/Scottish Fiction)

I think everyone thinks they're a little invincible, even not real from time to time, this is why I use Scottish Fiction as one of my handles. I just love how the song is split literally into In Remote Parts and then a spoke couple of verses which are Scottish Fiction.

65. Elton John: Almost Famous Soundtrack (Tiny Dancer)

My dad said "That's Shameful" when he heard Elton John being blasted from my CD player, and normally I'd agree, I'm not a great fan of him, but I do love this song.

66. Cat Stevens: Teaser and the Firecat (The Wind)

From a guy who wrote one of the songs I hate most in the word (Morning has Broken) it's odd to the that The Wind is one of my favourites.

67. Emiliana Torrini: Randall and Hopkirk {Deceased} Soundtrack (Dead Things)

I immediately liked this song, I think it was how all the notes and lyrics where almost stretched by the way Torrini sings.

68. The Divine Comedy: A Short Album About Love (Everybody Knows (Except You))

*sigh*smiley -

69. Jamiroquai: Synkronized (Canned Heat)

Great to bounce about to even if you can't dance…come on, Jay Kay's hardly the best dancer in existence eithersmiley -

70. Moby: Play (Inside)

No lyrics and it's the music if I need to calm down and just sit with my eyes closed in the quiet for a bit, I'll listen to. (I hate silence but you can't relax with Sheena is a Punk Rocker coming out of the stereo.)

71. Stroke 9: Nasty Little Thoughts (Little Black Backpack)/Kick Some Ass (Rip Off!)

Up until the end of 2002 I spent forever trying to find someone or at least convince one of my friends who know this band, a new friend had done the same and we even share the favourite song. The song used to make me happy, now, I don't know if it will. As for the second song:

smiley - musicalnoteBut I'm really just a sensitive artist

Perpatrating like I am the hardest

Acting like I'm not the smartest

I'm really just a sensitive artist

Honest...

72. Sarah McLachlan: Surfacing (Adia)

How does that woman reach those high notes!!!

73. Aqualung: Aqualung (Halfway to the Bottom)

Great song, glad that this guy released an album because I was desperate to know who did it when it was on the Beetle add.

74. The Beatles: Abbey Road (Oh Darlin'/Something/Here Comes the Sun, in fact all of the second side.)

Family holidays and doing the dishes wouldn't be the same without it.

75. Save Ferris: 10 Things I Hate About You Soundtrack (I Know)

I want their album!

76. The Cardigans: 10 Things I Hate About You Soundtrack (War)

Makes a statement.

77. Nirvana: In Utero (Rape Me)

A mishmash of Smells Like Teen Spirit and a very serious topic well executed by a man on the edge.

78. Nirvana: Nevermind (Lithium)

Sometimes you feel the most alone when you're with people and sometimes you switch off as you listen to group conversations to the point where you don't know whether it's real or not (this may or may not be completely BS)

79. New Radicals: single (You get What You Give)

Don't let go you've got the dreamers disease.

80. The Beatles: The White Album (Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey / Happiness is a Warm Gun / Blackbird / I Will)

Another holiday favourite which I've never stopped loving.

81. Heather Nova: South (I'm No Angel)

Like it says, I'm no angel, but who is?

82. Coldplay: Parachutes (Parachutes)

Forty-five seconds longs!!! And it's brilliant!!!

83. Santana feat. Rob Thomas: Supernatural (Smooth)

Rob Thomas from Matchbox Twenty with a superb guitarist, even if I could read music I'd never be able to play like Santana, no matter how much I tried.

84. Goldfinger: Stomping Ground (99 Red Balloons)

Punked up version of 99 Red Balloons which gave me the idea to release a red balloon with each 6th years name on of the class of '97 on muck up day, when we officially leave.

85. Kirsten Barry: Cruel Intentions Soundtrack (Ordinary Life)

I can't actually explain what I like about this song.

86. The Proclaimers: (500 Miles / I'm On My Way)

I'm on my way from misery to happiness todaysmiley - I won't have a word said against this Scottish band no matter how corny they are.

87. Jenny Bomb: Sahara Hot Nights (Alright Alright (Here's My Fist, Where's the Fight?))

Girl punk! Brilliant! smiley -

88. Eels: Souljacker (Rotten World Blues)

Is it on Souljacker? It's supposedly the hidden track, I haven't got the album and so don't know.

89. John Martyn: London Conversation (Fairytale Lullaby)

My parents used to play this too my sisters and I when we were younger on the guitar, I thought it was just something they made up until I went in search of the lyrics.

90. Jack Black: High Fidelity Soundtrack (Let's Get it On)

Jack Black singing a Marvin Gaye classic…man it doesn't get any better!

91. Less Than Jake: Hello Rockview/Losing Streak (Can't choose, I love the whole of the first CD)

The one CD I can bring in and the boys in the common room don't complain at me.

92. The Sundays: Reading Writing and Arithmetic (Here's Where The Story Ends)

Mwhahaha, apparently my dad has been looking for this song for years and I've had it in my CD collection for absolutely ages!

93. Doves: The Last Broadcast (Pounding)

Disappointing album, great song.

94. Daft Punk: Discovery (Digital Love)

I don't usually like this kind of music, but because a certain researcher nagged me into listening to it it's now an album I actually do like.

95. 3 Doors Down: American Pie 2 (Be Like That)

There's also another song I love of 3 Doors Down called Kryptonite I love and another from this album by Goldfinger that's great called Vintage Queen…I find a lot of great bands from soundtracks…it's just a shame most of them are American and you can't get over here.

96. The Who: The Best Air Guitar Album in the World...Ever (My Generation)

every Generation has a new style, the 90's and noughties have just recycled the classic stuff.

97. The White Stripes: White Blood Cells (Fell in Love with a Girl

I can't believe I hated this band to start off with, now I love them and considering this is the song I based my dislike on, it's now one of my favourites!

98. George Winston: December (Joy)

If you like Piano music, you must buy this album because it's stunning!

99. Ryuichi Sakamoto: Piano One (Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence)

Amazingly well composed piece of music.

100. Duncan Sheik: Friends Again Soundtrack (View From The Other Side)

Everybody's prospectus on life is different.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A786440

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more