The Invention of Printing

0 Conversations

[entry not complete yet]

Printing is an ancient invention and the first of the mass communiction technologies that continue to develop today. This entry explains where the various elements of printing were invented, and when.

Printing was commonplace in many parts of Earth by the 1400's, but had been practised since at least 518BC (source: http://www.cgan.com.hk/english/cpg/engcp10.htm ). This early wood-block printing was followed by the use of clay and metal. Then came movable type, and typography. Mechanical printing presses completed the process which led to the widespread availability of printed documents.

European readers in particular should be aware that this entry attempts to assign credit to the first implementation of each element of printing, even where the invention took place outside Europe. This differs from some European histories which have not been updated to take account of the history of Asian printing. [footnote about paris, some of which was not publicised until the 1970's]

In addition to the stages of printing technology described above, effective inks and paper were of course required. [...] [Oldest paper]

[Money]

WOOD BLOCK AND CLAY PRINTING

METAL TYPE PRINTING

Beginning in the thirteenth century Korean texts were printed using metal characters, while in China wooden characters were used in the same century. (source: http://muse.jhu.edu/demo/late_imperial_china/17.1chartier.html )

MOVABLE TYPE PRINTING

Moveable type in terracotta was used in China since the eleventh century (source: http://muse.jhu.edu/demo/late_imperial_china/17.1chartier.html ) However, terracotta [didn't last very long].

The earliest documented example was printed in Korea between 1234 and 1241, and a still-existing copy was printed in 1337. [sources? what about china?] However, Chinese ideographs were used for writing in both China and Korea until the 1450's [check], and this limited the impact of metal movable type. One of the main advantages of the technology is that it allows the use of fonts: a selection of letters that can be assembled rapidly to form words. Since the Chinese written system uses thousands of ideographs, rather than an alphabet, the advantages of movable metal type could not yet be realised.

[how fixed in -- ligatures etc]
An example from 1337 still exists.

TYPOGRAPHY

In 1443 the ruler of Korea, King Sejong, changed the writing system from Chinese ideographs to a simple 28[check] letter alphabet, in order to "improve the quality of life of all people". This quickly led to the first typography as books were printed using this simple alphabet.

Text was split up into characters and punctuation, and printers were able to keep a stock of characters from which to form the printing blocks. By 1446, "Songs of the Dragons Flying to Heaven" had been published, printed in movable metal type using the 28 letter alphabet. (source: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/lweb/indiv/eastasian/Korean/korare.html ).

PRINTING PRESSES

DEVELOPMENT OF PRINTING ON OTHER CONTINENTS

Printing technology quickly spread across the globe [from 1450 onwards?] Some elements of the process were copied from the Asian inventions and others were independently rediscovered.

In America[...]

In Europe[...]


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A785568

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more