A Conversation for Notes From a Small Planet

September song

Post 1

spimcoot

An aside: I've been wondering for a while now when we might stop calling the events of September 11th, 'September 11th'. Perhaps, after the first year anniversary, the usage will dwindle, but while there's no alternative currently in use it's hard to see how we will avoid it becoming second nature. It's already happened I suppose: an unthinking usage.

I imagine that the term came into being because the attacks were not limited to one place, thus ruling out, say 'The Twin Towers Tragedy' or such like, but at least that is more descriptive than consigning one day of the calendar to one event forever. It also, and I really hope not to seem disrespectful here, smacks a little of the sort of arrogant world view that might just conceivably have contributed to the attacks in the first place. I simply believe that it's wrong to claim that date as a name: the date will never be forgotten whatever it's called.

Forget the campaign to rename Thursday 'thing', let's rename September 11th instead.


September song

Post 2

Ormondroyd

There is also the ugly shorthand expression '9-11', which ignores the fact that to us in Britain and many other people around the world, 9-11-01 was the ninth of November.

I agree with you. Hopefully, that 'September 11' expression will die out after the first anniversary of the tragedy. I'll try to remember not to use it myself!


September song

Post 3

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

Use "America Stricken by the east, for not paying enough attion"? smiley - biggrin j/k


September song

Post 4

Gwennie

It irritates me no end to hear BBC reporters/news readers referring to the 11th September as September 11th and I find myself muttering under my breath in a Victor Meldrew fashion with annoyance! smiley - laugh

As usual Ormy, your entire Post article was an entertaining read and I particularly enjoyed your write-up 'Two little words'.smiley - ok On the day that this court ruling 'blew up', if you'll pardon the expression, my better half and I watched the related television coverage on Fox News and I've never in my life witnessed such biased, aggressive and sickening reporting! smiley - steam Poor Michael A. Newdow was vilified and ridiculed by presenters and interviewees alike smiley - cross and I don't once remember hearing anyone present an atheist perspective to the topic or even being objective.

By the by Ormy...Do you subscribe to the Secular Humanist monthly 'Freethinker'? smiley - angel

Like yourself, I'm not looking forward to being issued with an 'entitlement card'. smiley - erm I can't quite explain why I feel so uncomfortable about ID cards, being a law abiding citizen and all, but something about the wee beasties gives me the creeps... smiley - ghost


September song

Post 5

spimcoot

Must admit to being irritated by the date being the illogical way round too, though it does seem slightly churlish. Even the other way it would annoy me to hear the terrorist attacks named after the date.

What is it about ID cards and CCTV cameras that makes one so uneasy? Well, I suppose in the case of the latter it's being watched. Being naturally paranoid and vain by turns, I always assume that I'm being watched in any case; knowing that I actually *am* hardly makes things better. It's when people wheel out that old chestnut about 'the law abiding have nothing to fear' that I think the law abiding should really start to quake in their shoes.


September song

Post 6

Gwennie

Freedom, especially here in the UK is something that is generally taken for granted and will probably only be missed when it has been removed piece by piece, by which time it will no doubt be difficult to reinstate.

A couple of years ago, I dreamed that I was participating in a demonstration at an airport where a visiting overseas dignitary was arriving and vividly remember shouting "FREEDOM!" as I was duly arrested so loud that I woke myself and my hubby up! smiley - blush I have no idea what prompted the dream but the memory of the anger and frustration that I experienced in my dream has remained with me as a real life experience might have. smiley - weird

There are always problems in defining the boundaries of personal freedom against those of the greater public good or consensus. A couple of examples spring to mind...The first is the ownership of guns. Personally I'm quite happy that they shouldn't be easily available, but there are many people who feel that this is an intrusion of government on their personal freedom. Secondly, there are those who think hunting with hounds shouldn't be made illegal and to withdraw their right to pursue their prey is an infringement on their civil liberties...I don't wish to debate the innumerable rights or wrongs of these issues and merely use them as an example. smiley - angel

Perhaps the real reason for my discomfort at the introduction of 'entitlement cards' is that I've read/watched too many conspiracy theory type books/films...smiley - geeksmiley - blush


September song

Post 7

spimcoot

Yes, funny old word, Freedom. Dare say it doesn't exist at all: there are always constraints. Consider the birds, poor blighters; nasty sort of existence: continually atwitch for danger, yelling your lungs out all day to preserve territory and attract a mate, scraping a living. But better to be in a cage? Is that the alternative that we've chosen?

Let's just hope that the authorities that be are too inept really to use their powers for control of the populace. Keep voting the duffers in!


September song

Post 8

egon

Can I just say that I object to the attacks being referred to as "September 11th" for the purely selfish reason that September 11th is my birthday and I want september 11th (or 11th September) to still be available to all those of us who wish to celebrate things on it (birthdays/wedding anniversaries etc). The events last year horrified me, but to me Sept 11th is still presents and cake.

Oh, and you want the atheist view of the pledge of allegiance there are plenty here:- http://www.floor42.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/002101.html


September song

Post 9

Gwennie

Good one Egon! smiley - ok I used to lurk at Floor 42 and even occasionally post but haven't been there in ages...

*Thinks that she should rectify the situation and make a note of Egon's birthday, just in case she forgets* smiley - bigeyes


September song

Post 10

spimcoot

Do you know, Egon, you're just the sort of person that I always think of when I hear 'September 11th' and this is what I'm getting at: the day must be significant to hundreds of thousands of people for all sorts of other reasons. If we call the day 'The Twin Towers Tragedy' we run the risk of ignoring the Washington victims, but if we call it 'September 11th' we snub the memories of all the other people who have ever died on that day, as well as wipe the happiness from those who have something to celebrate, as your good self. I hope you'll have a very happy birthday this year.


September song

Post 11

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

Is it that it is not us carrying the ID cards, but others using them against us? Do we realy trust our govenment will our lives? I vote No.

What about, "The American Terorist Attacks"?

-- DoctorMO --


September song

Post 12

spimcoot

The American Terrorist Attacks is a good name, DoctorMO, except that as an acronym it beomes TATA, which seems a somewhat offhand way of saying goodbye...


September song

Post 13

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

Which would make it ideal.

OK so "Lots of Attacks on America"

LOAOA, I defiey anyone to pronounce that. smiley - tongueout


September song

Post 14

spimcoot

Oh that's easy - I say it every time I sit on a cold loo seat.


September song

Post 15

Gwennie

That's just the sort of noise I'll probably be making from the depths of the dentist's chair tomorrow afternoon (at 2.30 p.m. would you believe?)! smiley - yikessmiley - erm


September song

Post 16

egon

My Grandpa was a dentist, and when he died my dad didn't go to the dentist's for about seven years.


September song

Post 17

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

Strainge, anything else?

-- DoctorMO --


September song

Post 18

egon

No, thats's it.


September song

Post 19

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

hmm, you havn't got any other funny relitives have you? cos' I got some pritty depressing ones smiley - winkeye

-- DoctorMO --


Key: Complain about this post