Hanging Baskets

1 Conversation

How To Make A Moss Lined Hanging Basket

Moss-lined hanging baskets are the most impressive type of basket, and they are very simple to make. Follow the steps below for a beautiful and long-lasting display

Items you will need

  1. Wire-hanging basket
  2. Sphagnum Moss
  3. Plastic (an old carrier bag is an excellent choice)
  4. Compost
  5. 1 Tray of trailing lobelia
  6. Trailing plants (5 for a 12" basket, more for larger baskets)
  7. Upright plant for the middle
  8. Optional - time release plant food granules

Making the basket

If your basket has a round bottom it is a very good idea to stand it on a plant pot, as it will make it steadier. The first stage is to put some moss into the bottom of the basket, put a layer about an inch thick around the basket, stop about halfway up making sure the moss is level all the way around.

Cut a circle of plastic and line the inside of the moss with it, this will help to conserve water, and will stop compost coming through any small gaps in the moss. The plastic will not be visible when the basket is complete.

Put compost into the basket, this does not have to be specialist hanging basket compost. Fill it to the level of the moss, and make sure it is pressed down firmly. If you are putting time-release fertiliser in your basket, add some of the granules now.

Insert the trailing lobelia horizontally around the basket, distributing them evenly will give the best results, you can also put Busy Lizzie's here for varied effects

Add some more moss around the edges of the basket on top of the lobelia, make sure that it is pushed well down around the lobelia, otherwise you will have a black line around the middle. The moss should still only be about an inch thick, but you must also build it up above the rim by an inch.

When you are happy with the moss, fill the rest of the basket with compost to the top, again, make sure it is well pressed down, and add more time-release fertiliser if you want to include it.

Arrange the plants evenly around the rim of the basket, when you are happy with the way they are distributed, plant them into the compost at an angle.

Insert the upright plant into the middle of the basket and firm it in, add more compost as necessary.

The only thing left to do is to give your basket a good watering. Give it a full watering can with liquid feed such as miracle grow for a head start. Ensure you always water your basket every day, feed it at least once a week and you will have the biggest and best basket in the street!


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A759459

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more