A Conversation for Larry Grayson - Look At The Muck On 'Ere!

Peer Review: A751448 - Larry Grayson - Look At The Muck On 'Ere!

Post 1

Dazza Oxford

Entry: Larry Grayson - Look At The Muck On 'Ere! - A751448
Author: Dazza Oxford - U192536

Please review my affectionate retrospective on the life of Larry Grayson. Also include your comments on Larry Grayson, especially if you ever met him or saw him perform and feel free to remark on him and your favourite memories of him smiley - smiley


A751448 - Larry Grayson - Look At The Muck On 'Ere!

Post 2

Researcher 194573

I used to love Larry Grayson and the Gen Game! This tribute really brought him to life with the use of so many good quotes etc, and the whole biography was very in depth and well studied, I also found it amusing too smiley - smiley Well done m8, deserves an entry smiley - cheers


A751448 - Larry Grayson - Look At The Muck On 'Ere!

Post 3

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Yes, it's an affectionate retrospective indeed. It's also well written and presented.

I would take issue with a couple of things. Although Larry Grayson was one of the comedy stars of the 1970s, probably Morecambe and Wise were bigger, so it's not quite true to say that he dominated.

Also - poor Isla St Clair! I don't think she was unglamorous. She was certainly much more intelligent that most of the show hostesses and was a highly successful folk singer before joining his show.

This is a long entry. It may need to be split and I'm wondering if it needs to be a bit tighter, eg the description of his home town is a bit on the long side. It will be interesting to see what other researchers think.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A751448 - Larry Grayson - Look At The Muck On 'Ere!

Post 4

Dazza Oxford

Thanks for the comments smiley - smiley Larry Grayson certainly dominated the 'camp' comedy scene in the 1970's, influencing Graham Norton and Julian Clary and broke the mould in so much as that type of performance was made more mainstream. Isla St Clair was generally acknowledged as unglamorous compared to Bruce Forsyth's models, in fact Isla St Clair herself agreed with a Daily Express review by Jean Rook which said "whos brilliant idea was it to team up this camp comic with a plainish girl a thin as a stick of Edinburgh rock."

Isla was a great folk singer and a lovely girl, hope you enjoyed the piece smiley - smiley


A751448 - Larry Grayson - Look At The Muck On 'Ere!

Post 5

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I certainly have never thought of Isla St Clair as being plain. Not a great beauty, but not plain.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A751448 - Larry Grayson - Look At The Muck On 'Ere!

Post 6

Geoff Taylor - Gullible Chump

It is a long article, and whilst I thoroughly enjoyed it, I think it could benefit from a little trimming round the edges.

I never really liked Larry Grayson's comedy, but his contribution and influence over the likes of Julian Clary & Alan Carr (new name - watch out for this guy) is tremendous.

Good luck with the article. smiley - cheers

Oh... Isla was a BABE. smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more