A Conversation for P.U.D.D.I.N.G.

Some people are so inconsiderate

Post 1

Cheerful Dragon

Yesterday hubby and I went shopping at our local shopping centre - the Kingfisher Centre in Redditch. While we were there, we stopped for something to eat. As the place we ate at had tables and chairs outside, I had to leave my Shopmobility scooter outside the shop next door. It was there for no more than 15 minutes, but when I got back a man came out of the shop (presumably the manager, but he didn't wear any identification) and told me that in future I shouldn't leave "that thing" outside the shop. No reason was given, and I was too shocked to say anything except 'All right'.

The scooter wasn't causing an obstruction and wasn't obscuring the offer ads in the window. The area outside the shops is a public space, and the shopkeeper has no more right to tell you not to 'park' there than a somebody whose shop opens on to the street. The Kingfisher Centre welcomes disabled people, be they in wheelchairs or on scooters. The whole centre is accessible to the disabled. The incident left me shaken and upset. Needless to say, that particular shop (The Phonebox) will NOT be getting any custom from me and hubby. I will also be writing to their head office to let them know about this incident.

Another thing that upset me yesterday was how inconsiderate able-bodied shoppers can be about people in wheelchairs or scooters. I had people stopping suddenly in front of me, changing direction suddenly, cutting across in front of me, all as if I wasn't there. I saw it happen numerous times to other disabled people, too. Then there were the people who gathered in large groups in the middle of the 'streets' between the shops, totally ignoring the fact that they were blocking the way for anybody in a wheelchair or scooter. I actually made a loud, pointed remark to this effect as we passed a group of at least 6 people, but I don't think they took any notice. The day out was so stressful that I ended up in tears.

Grumpy? You bet I'm grumpy! smiley - crosssmiley - steamsmiley - grr


Key: Complain about this post

Some people are so inconsiderate

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more