A Conversation for P.U.D.D.I.N.G.

Artists with Mental Health Issues

Post 1

Zed

http://bcsu.net/club_newspopup.asp?clubid=5997&newsid=10153
Thoughts?


Artists with Mental Health Issues

Post 2

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

There is a myth about great artists having MH probs - such as VVG who didnt really, at least not in the way that is publicly assumed - apparently, (so said at docu on that very subject)

There are ppl with MH issues that are unable to transfer any of that feeling into a media form.
Just as there are ppl who dont have MH probs that can.

My personal view point is that being 'more aware' of feeling and emotions and recognising them can make a great artist (in whatever media). But it is the ability to transfer those feelings to a material that makes the work great.

You can have a 'perfect' piece of art that would lack feeling cos it is not 'from the heart' so to speak or a piece of work that may be dismissed by the critics as 'naive' but full of emotion that the viewer/reader can pick up. The latter to me would be a real work of art.

I paint and draw, but i am unable to paint how i feel, yet I write poetry which expresses it quite well.

My painting isnt rubbish but it isnt mind blowing either, my poetry is 'naive' but i think is ok as it really 'lives'

So i may have missed the point but once i get started........

Bottom line is, i guess you have to have something to express and ppl with MH issues have a whole lot more often than Joe Bloggs

Mort


Artists with Mental Health Issues

Post 3

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

smiley - ermHaving just waffled on,

I better add that i know the purpose of any piece of art should be for the creator, and not to get other peoples aproval and most of my comments where with that in my mind.

If the piece of art acheives its purpose - ie expresses what the artist wants it to then it is true art.

*goes to bury head in sand as... think all of that didnt come out right...and was threatened with art therapy classes last week*


Artists with Mental Health Issues

Post 4

Researcher 198131

I absolutely agree with you, Sir Mort. Art definitely is for the creator, rather than the viewer. At least it is in my case. Sure, it's always nice to have someone say "ooh, what a lovely picture you've done." But that takes about five seconds. Surely I didn't spend hours or days even on a work for that. No, it was for the joy of creating it.
It certainly wasn't to put a message out there. When I was at art school, and I had to exhibit, I found the 'art world' rather esoteric. We had to write reviews on other peoples shows. I found that difficult. These artists were trying to convey messages that I found hard to understand. (I probably didn't absorb enough art theory, but I mean what does a red canvas mean? Really! I saw a canvas hanging at an art show that was painted red. Not even different shades of red, just red!) Other artists, and art enthusiasts may understand these messages but not me, and certainly not the general public.
I think if a piece of art can make you feel something, then it's a good work. Whether it was done by the guy next door, or Leonardo. Doesn't matter.

smiley - elf


Artists with Mental Health Issues

Post 5

Zed

Relevant Link:-
http://bcsu.net/club_newspopup.asp?clubid=5997&newsid=10153


Artists with Mental Health Issues

Post 6

Researcher 198131

Are you trying to say I've gone off on the wrong tangent, Marvin?
Sorry, I was picking up on something Sir Mort said and flew off in a different direction.

So you're after thoughts on your link.
I know a few people who have been diagnosed with Depression. One of them is an Artist I went to school with. A couple of others are relatives. I've had anxiety attacks of my own and a full-blown breakdown. I think there are many people out there with Depression or other forms of mental illness. Many of who (whom?) don't even know it, and are having to deal with it anyway. I like the first link, because people may recognise some of their own problems there and go and seek help. The only way to deal with it really, is to seek help. The first step (she says trying not to sound cliched and failing) is to recognise you have a problem. Or perhaps to recognise you have a problem that can be treated.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, or even if I have a point. But you asked for thoughts, so I just typed whatever came into my head.

I think I'll go and join Sir Mort now and bury my head in the sand.

smiley - elf


Artists with Mental Health Issues

Post 7

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

Marvin has a link obsession smiley - winkeye


Artists with Mental Health Issues

Post 8

Researcher 198131

Ohhh!

smiley - elf


Key: Complain about this post