The Physicists' Bill of Right

0 Conversations

(I must point out that I didn't exactly write these, in fact I didn't write the at all, somebody just handed them to me on a piece of a paper which they'd printed off some web site somewhere, but they definitely need to included to give you some idea of the mentality of physicists).



We hold these postulates to be intuitively obvious, that all physicists are born equal, to a first approximation, and are endowed by their creator with certain discrete privileges, among them a mean rest life, n degrees of freedom, and the following rights which are invariant under all linear transformations: .



1. To approximate all problems to ideal cases.



2. To use order of magnitude calculations whenever deemed necessary (i.e. whenever one can get away with it).



3. To use the rigorous method of "squinting" for solving problems more complex than the addition of positive real integers.



4. To dismiss all functions which diverge as "nasty" and "unphysical."



5. To invoke the uncertainty principle when confronted by confused mathematicians, chemists, engineers, psychologists, dramatists, and other lower scientists.



6. When pressed by non-physicists for an explanation of (4) to mumble in a sneering tone of voice something about physically naive mathematicians.



7. To equate two sides of an equation which are dimensionally inconsistent, with a suitable comment to the effect of, "Well, we are interested in the order of magnitude anyway."



8. To the extensive use of "b*****d notions" where conventional mathematics will not work.



9. To invent fictitious forces to delude the general public.



10. To justify shaky reasoning on the basis that it gives the right answer.



11. To cleverly choose convenient initial conditions, using the principle of general triviality.



12. To use plausible arguments in place of proofs, and thence forth refer to these arguments as proofs.



13. To take on faith any principle which seems right but cannot be proved.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A74198

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more