A Conversation for The Klingon Language

A739145 - The Klingon Language

Post 21

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

As an aside - does anyone know the result of the campaign for Kingon to be recognised as a religion in the UK following the 2001 census? I think 10,000 people had to put it down on the form. One of my colleagues at work said he registered as a Klingon.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A739145 - The Klingon Language

Post 22

Hoovooloo

Personally I put "Jedi". I thought that was where the agnostic anorak vote went...

Besides which, Klingons are emphatically *not* religious. The first Klingon killed the god that created him, and they've had no truck with gods ever since. (I'm not making this up...)

H.


A739145 - The Klingon Language

Post 23

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Ah yes, Jedi. So the anorak vote was split, then!

I didn't know about that story. What status does Kayless (sp?) have, then?

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A739145 - The Klingon Language

Post 24

Hoovooloo

Kahless (or qeylIS to use the proper Klingon spelling) was a mythic historic figure who united the Klingon empire by defeating the tyrant Molor and forging the first bat'telh (sword of honour), 1500 years before the Next Generation/DS9/Voyager timeline.

Basically a sort of Klingon equivalent of King Arthur, complete with promised return when the Empire needed him, but certainly not in any way divine.

H.
(I know far too much of this stuff, don't I?)


A739145 - The Klingon Language

Post 25

a girl called Ben

Um. Yes. smiley - run


A739145 - The Klingon Language

Post 26

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

smiley - laugh

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A739145 - The Klingon Language

Post 27

Geoff Taylor - Gullible Chump

I had a copy of the Klingon Dictionary. Upon reading it, I was surprised to discover how detailed it was. I never read it all the way through; a bit too anal for my liking. I don't sit and read English dictionaries...

Great article, though.

smiley - cheers

Geoff


A739145 - The Klingon Language

Post 28

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Christopher Lloyd. Hmmm. Ex Taxi driver, I recall - wasn't he John Bignoote in the seminal Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai Across The 8th Dimension?


A739145 - The Klingon Language

Post 29

Hoovooloo

Christopher Lloyd, quick selected filmography from a list of 92(!) on IMDb
My Favourite Martian (Uncle Martin)
Things to do in Denver When You're Dead (Pieces)
The Addams Family Movies (Uncle Fester)
Back to the Future (Doc. Emmett Brown)
Roger Rabbit (Judge Doom)
Buckaroo (John Bigboote) - and I got my copy of this movie on Region 1 DVD TODAY! - How spooky is THAT?

and his first role, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", as "Taber"

He wasn't in "Taxi Driver", which was a Martin Scorsese movie, but he was in "Taxi", the TV comedy, as Jim Ignatowski, alongside Andy Kaufman as Latka. He played the role again, and appeared as himself, in "Man on the Moon", the Kaufman biopic with Jim Carrey.


A739145 - The Klingon Language

Post 30

Frankie Roberto

I put Jedi in too, be interested to know what happened. (It's gonna be strange for our great-grandchildren looking us up in the census in 100 years time).

Some comments about the entry:

The introductory paragraphy doesn't need a header. It's guide convention that there should be an into paragraph before the first header.

Footnote 1 could be worked into the text IMO as it's quite interesting and adds to the entry.

Didn't understand the joke about number 6/prisoner. Something to do with the TV series I'm guessing? This could be more explicit for us non-anoraks. smiley - smiley

Some ideas:

I read a while ago in the newspaper that one family in America brought up their children speaking Klingon as a mother-tongue. Social services had to remove the child from the family... Might be worth investigating this and adding it in as an anecdote.

A question:

I like the Next Generation series best (haven't really seen any of the others). Why does it not really feature any Klingon?

Frankie


A739145 - The Klingon Language

Post 31

Hoovooloo

Hi Frankie...

Nobody who put "Jedi" as their religion on the census should be having children, much less grandchildren! smiley - winkeye

Intro header - gone! Footnote 1 worked in, although I'm *slightly* dubious about that because I think it interrupts the flow a bit suddenly talking about Star Wars. See what people think...

You DID get the joke about number 6/prisoner! Don't want to spoon feed the reader too much - I think the link to the Entry about "The Prisoner", in which it explains that he was "Number 6" is plenty.

I'm hoping the social services story is an urban myth... On the other hand, I'm assuming they MUST have been teaching the child at least one other language, in which case, where's the harm? You wouldn't remove a child if the parents taught it Esperanto... There's no way you could bring a child up speaking ONLY Klingon, as it lacks some rather important concepts, such as "nappy", "potty", and well, finish the list yourselves...

As for the Next Gen not featuring Klingon, I would draw your attention to the following episodes...

A Matter of Honor (sic)
The Emissary
Sins of the Father (quite a lot in this one, including Picard speaking Klingon)
Reunion
Redemption, I&II
Birthright, I&II
The Chase (only a little)
Rightful Heir
Firstborn (OPERA in Klingon!)

Admittedly not that many out of 178, but there were, believe it or not, fan complaints that there were too many Klingon stories! Pagh! (That's Klingon for "zero", by the way...)

H.


A739145 - The Klingon Language

Post 32

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

I know he was in Taxi - I was a devoted fan. Especially of Latka.


A739145 - The Klingon Language

Post 33

Hoovooloo

Ibita?

Oh, and it's BigbootAY.

H.


A739145 - The Klingon Language

Post 34

Researcher 188007

Hello,

Unless I'm mistaken, Tolkien based Quenya (High Elvish) on Finnish, and Sindarin (Wood Elvish) on Welsh. These are both living rather than ancient languages. As an aside, I wonder how alien Klingon would sound to an Arabic speaker - Arabic has similar sounds (the q and H, for example) and also no verb 'to be' (kind of).

It may also be worth pointing out (ah, what the hell) that until last year, none of Tolkien's languages had properly been heard on film.

Cheers,
Jack


A739145 - The Klingon Language

Post 35

Hoovooloo

I'll take your word for the origins of Tolkien's languages - either way they're not "created" in same way that Klingon was, completely from scratch. (Nor for that matter was Esperanto - the word for table in Esperanto is "tabla", for instance - it's very Euro-centric).

Okrand deliberately used a collection of sounds from different languages - no one language has all the sounds of Klingon, as far as I know. Any Arabic speakers have an opinion...?

If someone wants to actually write an entry on Tolkien's languages (hint hint) I'll certainly read it! smiley - winkeye

H.


A739145 - The Klingon Language

Post 36

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

A Klingon speaker at a convention told me that learning Welsh is a great help in mastering Klingon pronounciations... smiley - martiansmile


A739145 - The Klingon Language

Post 37

Witty Ditty

Something that might be of interest, H:

http://www.google.com/preferences?hl=en

In the languages dropdownbox there appears to be, yep, you guessed it, Klingon....

Worth linking to?

Stay smiley - cool,
WD


A739145 - The Klingon Language

Post 38

Hoovooloo

Hi Witster! That is without doubt the coolest thing I've seen in AGES! I have spent the entire afternoon smiling at this - and much as I like Klingon, I'm actually torn between setting my Google preferences to "Elmer Fudd" (SSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh. I'm hunting wabbit) and "Bork Bork Bork" (Swedish chef for President! He makes more sense than Dubya!). I LOVE this! Thanks so much. smiley - biggrin

H.


A739145 - The Klingon Language

Post 39

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Seconded! smiley - laugh


A739145 - The Klingon Language

Post 40

Hoovooloo

Just booting this up the list for the weekend...

H.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more