- Émile Zola - you really should read Germinal you know. Or if you can't cope with long books, you could watch the film version. Its not bad, and it gets the message across.
- Neil Gaiman and his Sandman series of comic books. Adults deserve good fairy tales, too.
- The wonderful magic that was Johnny Marr & Steven Patrick Morrissey as The Smiths
Frankly, Mr Shankly, since you ask
You are a flatulent pain in the arse
I do not mean to be so rude
But still, I must speak frankly, Mr Shankly
- The wonderful magic that is Spiritualized. Jason Spaceman and the boys rocking on for your drug taking pleasure.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is its so thin
I keep sliding off to the sides
And the Devil makes good use for these hands of mine
And if Jesus is the straight path that saves
Then I'm condemned to live my whole life on the curve
On the crossroads with the Devil, well I'll dwell and I'll count my years
- My secondary school history teacher, John Hunneman1. God love 'im, the old Commie