Nigel's Gardening Hints and Tips: The Runaway Plants

1 Conversation

A banner for Nigel's Gardening column

The Runaway Plants!


Many people consider many wildflowers to be unique and pretty, but unfortunately there are exceptions. Although the flowers may be bright and showy, there are some that are the devil's best friend! They spread everywhere and whatever you do, they do not seem to disappear!


I'm not talking about Dandelions Taraxacum officinale, nor am I talking about Daisies Bellis perennis or even Buttercups Ranunculus bulbosus, but Hieracium aurantiacum which is commonly known as

Orange hawkweed .


There are also many other common names for Hieracium aurantiacum, such as: Fox-and-cubs, Tawny hawkweed, Grim–the–collieror, Devil's paintbrush, Flora's paintbrush, Golden mouse ear, Missionary weed, Orange–flowered hawkweed, red daisy, and probably many more.
Also, it has another botanical name which is tentatively listed in the RHS Plant Finder as Pilosella aurantiaca. Apparently, it is a specific epithet which means it follows the original name Hieracium aurantiacum but distinguishes the species from others within the same genus.


In many countries and states Orange hawkweed is on the noxious or quarantine list, which means it has to be eliminated and quarantined immediately. There are specific guidelines to follow from the respective governments, as germinating or cultivating the plants can be illegal1. However, there are countries such as the United Kingdom that do not enforce such strict guidelines, mainly because it has not yet become in danger of taking over the environment.


There are some benefits to this striking plant, as well as some interesting facts. Here are a few:

  • Hawkweed, like many plants, has an ancient meaning. The first part 'Hawk' comes from the ancient Greek word hierax, meaning hawk. This is because the roman naturalist Pliny believed that hawks fed on this plant to improve their eyesight. The second part 'weed' basically means a wild plant, which is growing in an unwanted place.


  • Hieracium aurantiacum is in the same plant family (Asteraceae) as Sunflowers (Helianthus), Marigolds (Tagetes), Chrysanthemums (Dendranthema grandiflorum) as well as other Asteraceae family relatives.


  • It is thought that the Romans made a tea out of Orange hawkweed, which they washed their eyes with. They believed that this method would improve their eyesight.


  • In British Columbia, a province of Canada, there is ongoing research to find biological methods to eradicate Hawkweed. Currently they have not found a way other than chemicals, but in the future they are confident there will be new methods.


Every time I see or hear the name Orange hawkweed, I have to smile! About ten years ago, when my grandad was alive, he was finding the border in his back garden a struggle. He used to plant it up every year with geraniums and bedding plants, which looked absolutely stunning! As his health was deteriorating, he decided to plant lower maintenance plants such as herbaceous perennials. A friend gave him an Orange hawkweed seedling and he planted it in between the Michaelmas Daisies Aster novi-belgii, thinking it would be a nice ground cover plant. About a year later the hawkweed spread all over the border as well as the vegetable patch at the top of the garden. The quicker we dug them up the quicker they grew!


Then, unfortunately, my health deteriorated, which meant the garden was neglected leaving the hawkweed to take control! When grandad passed away in 2005, the family dug out huge amounts of the weed which enabled us to take control of the garden…or so we thought!


After a few months it started taking over again and now we have resorted to using weed killer, which seems to be doing the trick. However, the next-door neighbour had to dig up his whole lawn, back and front, as it had crept under the fence. He even resorted to laying concrete gravel boards as well as concrete mix to stop the runners from running away! Recently, I gave my friend some of the hawkweed plants as she loves the stunning flowers and does not mind it going wild. However, I did give 'warning invasive instructions' first though!


Apart from the Orange hawkweed, there are other types such as the Yellow hawkweed Hieracium pratense, which is sometimes known as the King Devil. It is sometimes mistaken as a dandelion because the flowers are very similar.


Many of the Hawkweeds are not too deeply rooted and can be easily dug up, but as they grow on runners then even a little bit left in the ground could easily re-shoot into another plant. Weedkiller is really the only way to completely get rid, but make sure that you get one that is not active when it touches the soil, otherwise you will not be able to plant in the area for a minimum of six months or even longer depending on the type of chemical.


Although they spread, the flowers are bright and cheerful and are ideal for areas of the garden that are wild, if you can contain them. As I have mentioned above, runners are the main way of spreading but also they can disperse seeds once they have flowered. To help avoid this, the best way is to trim the flower heads off once they have finished. Make sure they are not put in the compost bin but disposed of either by burning or leaving in water for about a week to make sure the heads are thoroughly dead.


Also, the Yellow hawkweed, which is commonly called Mouse-Ear, is said to have more herbal properties and has/still is being used in a variety of different ways to help some health conditions.


I have mentioned good and bad points about this type of plant, but, like many other weeds or wild flowers, they do spread and can be considered as a pest. After all the definition of a 'weed' is a plant in the wrong place!
However, if you are not in a country where it is prohibited or quarantined, then it is worth planting in a part of the garden you don't really maintain or you are leaving it wild for the wildlife.

Enjoy your garden.

Nigel's Gardening Hints and Tips
Archive

Helleborus

12.07.10 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1For example, the Australian Government's guidelines.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A71406830

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more