The Key To Good Detective Stories

0 Conversations



“Who dunnit” have long been popular, both in novel and television drama form. There are many to choose from, including Morse, Miss Marple, Poirot, Dalziel and Pascoe, and the recent CSI, among many others.



Library books on a shelf



While every effort is made to keep up the suspense and sustain the mystery, there are certain clues and give-aways that tell you who is next in line to be murdered, how they will die or who did it.





So here we go……



When the detective or their family show up



Whenever Jessica Fletcher, Hercule Poirot or Miss Marple decide to go on holiday or to visit friends and family, people seem to drop dead. Coincidence? Maybe, but it makes life that bit scarier and a bit more interesting if you are one of these detectives surrounded by murder, even when you go on holiday. Though your assistance always proves extremely valuable to the local police who seem to miss some pretty darn obvious and vital clues. Don’t these guys ever get time off?!





Also, when the detective’s wife or children join your village fete committee, drama group or whatever, people will get murdered. This is especially noted in Midsomer Murders, where it seems everything Joyce and Cully Barnaby get involved in, whether it is the village fete, the drama group or the historical society, either involves the victims, or the murderer themselves. This also usually provides them with something vital to pass on to Barnaby and help him solve the crimes.



Number of victims



The number of victims can vary greatly between detective series and between episodes. It is usual for Agatha Christie’s Miss Marple and Poirot to have only one murder, two at most, while Colin Dexter’s Inspector Morse and Reginald Hill’s Dalziel and Pascoe usually involve a much higher body count. But the more bodies the better.



The victim's comments



There is a curious thing to note in those moments in which we follow the murderer as they kill their next victim. The camera follows the murderer to their chosen victim, who will turn around and say something like “Oh, it’s you!” or “What are you doing here?” The victim will never say “Hello, John” before getting murdered. It is clear that this device is employed to sustain the story and keep the viewer guessing as to the identity of the criminal. However, in real life is this what would really happen? I doubt it.



Mysterious figure at the window



Also, if the victim is chased before they are murdered, they will invariably run into a forest, a barn or other similar such dark deserted place. They will not go to a nearby house or jump into their car and drive off. People in these stories mustn’t read or watch such stories themselves. If they did, they wouldn’t die.



The murder weapon



When it’s mentioned that a certain character owns a gun, someone will get shot. Though that gun will have been the murder weapon, the owner will not have pulled the trigger. They are also likely to take a couple of days to notice it’s gone. And upon discovering the gun’s disappearance, they are unlikely to tell the police for fear of incriminating themselves. This will, of course, result in them being incriminated. Well, duh!!



A man in the cross-hairs of a rifle.



Similarly, if there is a vet or doctor in the story, a lethal dose will be used as the instrument of death. The drug will normally be seemingly harmless, but used in a large dose, or a sedative normally used on horses. The murders will also follow a small break-and-enter into the surgery.



Threats



This is a good indication as to who is about to be murdered.





When someone is threatened in public – like in the village pub or corner shop – they will soon be dead. However, the person who threatened will not have been the murderer. That’s just far too obvious, but gives the detective someone to blame and to hold for questioning until someone else gets killed. Woops!



Detection



If the detective team are working on some seemingly insignificant case before the murders take place, such as a burglary or car crime or something, this will be connected to the murders. For example, a break in at a pharmaceutical company will be connected to murders carried out using experimental drugs or the murders of key researchers.



A member of the special constabulary.



An innocent comment, as passed by the sergeant, the wife, an estate agent, or another sideline character, will often provide the detective with a vital clue that will ultimately unlock the case.





Finally – never underestimate the little grey cells.



Some popular detectives and links



? Inspector Morse
? Inspector Lynley Mysteries
? Poirot
? Miss Marple
? Foyle’s War
? A Touch Of Frost
? Dalziel and Pascoe
? Midsomer Murders
? Murder, She Wrote
? CSI
? Sherlock Holmes
? Columbo
? Wycliff
? Kojak
? The Rockford Files
? The Ruth Rendell Mysteries
? Perry Mason
? Bergerac ?



Peter Falk as Detective Columbo.

Arthur Conan Doyle wrote Sherlock Holmes.





Can you solve The Obvious Crime?




Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A7136750

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more