A Conversation for Speeding in Pennsylvania

Peer Review: A697719 - Speeding in Pennsylvania

Post 1

Jimi X

Entry: Speeding in Pennsylvania - A697719
Author: Jimi X - U53353

If you're planning to drive in excess of the speed limit in Pennsylvania, this little entry may just save you some hassle with the police!

I've been driving around the state for half my life and only received two speeding tickets - both while still in college.

smiley - cheers

- Jimi X


A697719 - Speeding in Pennsylvania

Post 2

Jimi X

I can't believe you all drive under the speed limit!

Anyone?!?

smiley - devil


A697719 - Speeding in Pennsylvania

Post 3

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Are all speed police male then?

If your intention is to encourage people to speed, I have a problem with this. More speed equals less thinking time in the event of an emergency. It all depends on how you do it though. However, research shows that people who speed intentionally (and most speeding is intentional) have greater accident involvement. It's generally a matter of attitude. Speeders will tend to do other things such as tailgating, which makes the problem of lack of time to react even worse.

Although your entry finishes with 'it's not worth it', I think safety should be more prominent in the entry.

smiley - angel

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A697719 - Speeding in Pennsylvania

Post 4

Jimi X

> Are all speed police male then?

I believe I was using the generic pronoun.

And as for the other bit - I'm not actually telling people to go out and drive fast, am I? I'm telling them some tips to avoid arrest if they choose to engage in this illegal behaviour.

But I'll go back and read it again...


A697719 - Speeding in Pennsylvania

Post 5

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

smiley - erm There is a line after advising people to stick to the speed limit 'But who wants to do that?' which in my view in tantamount to advising people to speed.

Did you know that more people died because of the internal combustion engine last century than were killed in all the wars put together!! Even at lower speeds, inappropriate speed can be telling. At 35mph, a car which could have stopped in time to avoid hitting (say a pedestrian) will still be doing 30 mph when it hits and will travel for a further 21 feet.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A697719 - Speeding in Pennsylvania

Post 6

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

I've never lived there, and I've been cited twice. Both times it was within a mile of the border.


A697719 - Speeding in Pennsylvania

Post 7

Jimi X

Twice?!? smiley - yikes
I've received two citations in the past 17 years. Of course, I know most of the 'tricks' to avoid being pinched. And that's really what I hoped this entry would be about...

So Two-Bit, what did *you* think of this entry from a law enforcement perspective?

Does it encourage people to speed and drive dangerously? Is it offensive to police?

Whadda ya think? smiley - smiley


A697719 - Speeding in Pennsylvania

Post 8

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

It doesn't bother me a bit. You might add something about turning the dome light on if you're stopped after dark. Decreasing officer paranoia is generally a good thing.

In my opinion, speeding isn't that big a deal. It'll make your accident worse, but except in turns, it isn't a big cause of accidents.


A697719 - Speeding in Pennsylvania

Post 9

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Congrats, Jimi! I scouted, it was accepted, and now it's on it's way. You know the drill.

smiley - smiley
Mikey


A697719 - Speeding in Pennsylvania

Post 10

Jimi X

Thanks Mikey!

I wondered who nabbed it!

smiley - cheers


A697719 - Speeding in Pennsylvania

Post 11

Crash Fuzz

A car driving 35 mph in normal dry conditions needs 58 feet to stop. If your driving and need to react to a situation, like a pedestrian crossing the roadway, that will add distance to your stopping. Normal reaction time for daylight conditions is 1.6 seconds. This means that if your traveling 35 mph and react in 1.6 seconds, you traveled and additional 82 feet from the time you removed your foot from the accelerator and hit the brakes. Your total stopping distance at 35 mph is now 140 feet.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Speeding in Pennsylvania

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more