A Conversation for "The Orchard" - the h2g2 Mac Users' Group!

OSX Lion

Post 1

Orcus

So I've upgraded to the new OS on my mac mini and there's one feature I really hate smiley - grr

On windows the little arrow at the top and bottom of the scroll bar on the right have simply vanished meaning I have to hold the mouse cursor on the grey bit to scroll up and down.

Any way of getting them back? smiley - wah


OSX Lion

Post 2

turvy (Fetch me my trousers Geoffrey...)

With a bit of research it seems that the arrows are gone. Apple wants us all to buy devices that use gestures.

The scroll bar can be turned on permanently in System Preferences/General as shown here - http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/03/show-scroll-bars-mac-os-x-lion/ . This site also suggests a work around - http://osxdaily.com/2011/12/09/no-scrollbar-arrows-mac-os-x-lion-workaround/

Don't know whether this helps smiley - shrug

t.


OSX Lion

Post 3

turvy (Fetch me my trousers Geoffrey...)

I meant to say that I haven't upgraded to Lion yet simply because we have desktop machines with ordinary mice.

t.


OSX Lion

Post 4

Orcus

Hmmm, thanks for that. I just got an iphone 4S and wanted to use iCloud on both it and my computer.

Not very impressed I have to sat smiley - cross


OSX Lion

Post 5

Orcus

sat = say


OSX Lion

Post 6

hygienicdispenser

Yes, I also haven't lionised because it seems that the whole thing is built around trackpad gestures/touchscreen. Windows 8 appears to be much the same, so I guess that's the future.
(mutter mutter...interfaces ain't what they were when I were a lad... mutter mutter).


OSX Lion

Post 7

hygienicdispenser

Though I must say I've never used the sidebar arrows to scroll. I use either the scroll ball on the mouse or the various keys on the keyboard, depending on which is closest to what I happen to be doing.


OSX Lion

Post 8

Tumsup

I have a new iMac with Lion. Th new mouse is touch sensitive. I love it as much as I hated the old one with the scroll ball that you couldnt clean.
With the new one I can do amazing things just by lovingly stroking the surface.


OSX Lion

Post 9

Orcus

Yeah well some of us don't appreciate being forced to buy new hardware (and software incidentally smiley - cross) simply because we decided to 'upgrade' the operating system.

Also, see the many many pages of hate this has engendered on the MacOSX support forums linked to above. I'm not the only one. It seems it's p!ssing off mainly professional users who need the little arrows I complained about to scroll accurately and sensitively through long documents.

I get less impressed by the day and I'm not going to upgrade this macbook I am currently on as I had planned to. Aside from anything else, half of the professional publication software I use for work no longer works in Lion. smiley - sadface


OSX Lion

Post 10

taliesin

I may, at some point, install Lion on an external hard drive, but presently I am disinclined to replace Snow Leopard with Lion on my mbp.

SL runs beautifully, and does pretty much anything I ask of it, including running XP under Virtualbox for those one or two 'pc-only' applications I must occasionally run, or to test web stuff under XP/IE

The more I read about it, the more I'm starting to believe Lion is a case of, 'if it ain't broke, fix it until it is'

smiley - erm


Key: Complain about this post