A Conversation for The History of "The Short Guide to Short Words"

Some additional thoughts...

Post 1

Hoovooloo

Good to see this in at last!

Some additional notes...

Re: "the C word": Newcastle Polytechnic, according to Urban Legend, had actually had the letterheadings printed for City University of Newcastle upon Tyne when all polys became unis in the 90s, before the acronym was spotted.

"Dick": common army slang "to get dicked for", as in "so, you got dicked for first stag then eh?" = "so, you had the misfortune to be the first person chosen for sentry duty?".

On the subject of "fukt", look at my personal space...

I think the word "m*********r" probably deserves a section of its own.

My favourite line from Blackadder II:
Captain Rum (Tom Baker, for it is he): "You're nothing but lapdogs to a slip of a girl."
Blackadder (Rowan Atkinson): "Better a lapdog to a slip of a girl than a............. git."

You might like to check with some other Scots about the meaning of "pish", because some have told me it's VERY rude and doesn't mean "p**s" at all.

Good stuff... so when's it going into Peer Review? smiley - winkeye

H.


Some additional thoughts...

Post 2

a girl called Ben

Checking with scots is easy - I worked in Glasgow for a while, and I was married to one for years...

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll incorporate them at the w/e.

All the best

a wordsmith called Ben


Some additional thoughts...

Post 3

Sick Bob. (Most recent incarnation of the Dark Lord Cyclops. Still lord and master of the Anti Squirrel League and Keeper of c

I had completely forgotten about this article untill you reminded me. Thanx.

As for the definition of the word "pish..."

Many expletives (esp. in Scotland) have many meanings which are different in different regions. Therefore if someone from Dundee or Paisley comes up with another meaning of the word I won't deny it. However to the best of my knowledge the word pish means the same as p**s (ie. to urinate.) Hence the phrase "to pish oneself." The word can also be used to mean rubbish, ("I've had a pish day") simple, ("It was pish easy" or "It was a pile of pish") drunk ("I was really pished last night") or hungover. ("You look completely pishfaced")

I went to visit your page but it has been censored. Therefore I can't tell which words you already have. If you don't have it yet I have a suggestion of another word meaning drunk which I'm not sure if it is a Glasgow colloquialism or not (ooh bad grammar!)

COMPLETELY W**KERED

A personal favourite.


Some additional thoughts...

Post 4

a girl called Ben

Hi Bob

There is a link to teh Geocities version on my home page. I took pished to mean what you said. Ha! Hoovooloo! Doesn't even know blue language when he hears it.

Thanks Bob.

All the best

Ben


Some additional thoughts...

Post 5

Tube - the being being back for the time being

Argh! That entry's gone again smiley - erm


Some additional thoughts...

Post 6

MrsCloud

my friends who was from Stirling used pish in a "this is a pish beer" (not very good) sort of way and I always considered it fairly mild mannored but then this same guy would get away with calling bartenders "my good man" when buying drinks. (he was 6ft+ and large and ran the union at edinburgh uni as well as doing freelance bouncering)


Some additional thoughts...

Post 7

Queex Quimwrangler (Not Egon)

Also on git:
According to Time Team the other week, the 'git' was metal flash left from casting iron into bipartite moulds. After casting, the useless git would have to be struck off with a hammer.


Some additional thoughts...

Post 8

Bagpuss

I would like to add that "tosspot" has been missed out. The meaning is basically the same as "tosser", though one would assume that it meant the receptical that the latter would use.


Some additional thoughts...

Post 9

Orcus

I'm looking forward to actually seeing this article, at some point...
smiley - yawn

And I know I've seen it off site, I mean in GOO! smiley - cross


Some additional thoughts...

Post 10

a girl called Ben

Well, it may yet happen: See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/F48874?thread=164610&post=1730498#p1730190


Some additional thoughts...

Post 11

Orcus

Yes, I've seen that since I made that post thanks smiley - ok

*Makes note to have a proper look round before making such posts*


Some additional thoughts...

Post 12

Orcus

Oh and Ben...

please link like this F48874?thread=164610&post=1730498#p1730190
or are you *really* trying to default me back to alabaster smiley - yuk

Seriously, this overrides your default skin setting. Very irritating.


Some additional thoughts...

Post 13

a girl called Ben

Sorry - I am at work, so I was posting in haste, and repenting at leisure. And I am still getting used to the idea of the skin being in the URL. smiley - cdouble

smiley - grovel

smiley - grovelsmiley - grovelsmiley - grovel

a bimbette called Ben


Some additional thoughts...

Post 14

Orcus

*grants forgiveness*

smiley - kiss

Actually I moaned that this was a bug and Jim Lynn told me that was the way they *wanted* it to work. smiley - erm

Doesn't sound very user friendly to me. More of a convenience for the programmers than the users I reckon.


Some additional thoughts...

Post 15

Bagpuss

Mmm, whilst it's useful being able to just put "U152404", it would be better if it didn't matter when you forget.

I can't check at the moment, because the entry's wandered off again, but I think I noticed before that the phrases "talking out of one's arse" and "having one's head up one's arse" could do with being included. Just in case you don't know, they both mean "talking b******ks".


Some additional thoughts...

Post 16

a girl called Ben

Thanks Bagpuss - you are right, the entry could do with those usages. The current version is linked from my user page. I'll be updating both versions at the weekend.

I doubt it will be back in the guide for more than 20 minutes or so, probably on Sunday....

And then we wait for months with our fingers crossed!

Ben


Some additional thoughts...

Post 17

Bagpuss

Always happy to help. smiley - biggrin I still keep thinking of new ones. "A******e" for example.


Some additional thoughts...

Post 18

Tube - the being being back for the time being

smiley - yikes There's completely uncensored version ATM
smiley - huh


Some additional thoughts...

Post 19

Bagpuss

So there is. Methinks somebody f**ked up.


Some additional thoughts...

Post 20

Tube - the being being back for the time being

Still there smiley - winkeyesmiley - ok Good to have a version without all the silly **** smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post