A look in the history book... #2

0 Conversations

FAQ, 25 January 2001

h2g2 Questions and Answers

Why is h2g2 temporarily closed?

We are in talks with a prospective partner about acquiring some of our assets and maintaining and expanding the service. We are aiming to re-open the site as soon as possible.

Is the site inaccessible to everyone, or just me?

It's currently closed to everyone, but not for long.

So when will you re-open? Please say 'really, really soon'...

It will be really, really soon.

We can't give you a specific date yet, though we will publish our re-opening date on the front page as soon as we can. We emphasise that this closure is only temporary, and we are all working as hard as possible to make sure down-time is as short as possible.

We will definitely be back.

And how will I know when you re-open? Telepathy?

If you are a registered Researcher, we will email you (at your h2g2 account's email address) after we are up and running again. We'll also put up regular updates of progress on the front page, so bookmark it and pop back every now and then for the latest information.

What will have changed when you re-open?

Practically nothing. We may make some very minor changes while we're off the air, but h2g2 will still be same when it re-opens, with the same content as now. (It is possible that any material on h2g2 which breaks the site's terms and conditions will be removed, but that's not a change from our existing policy.)

We are hoping, though, that the site will get much faster and slicker over the next few months, and will sprout lots of new features in the near future.

Will I have to pay for the re-opened h2g2 site?

No. h2g2 has always been free, and it will continue to be free for the foreseeable future.

Will I have to re-register when you re-open?

Probably, but you will still be able to use your existing h2g2 account(s).

So how do the h2g2 staff feel about all this, then?

We're delighted: it's a chance for us develop h2g2 into the phenomenon that we know it's capable of becoming. Although we're sorry for the inconvenience of this temporary closure, we are confident that on re-opening, the h2g2 Community will be delighted with developments.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

Although h2g2 is temporarily closed, there is an unofficial forum where you can talk to other h2g2 users here. Please note that h2g2 is not responsible for the contents of this forum or the site that hosts it.

Can I contact the h2g2 staff while you're off the air?

Unfortunately not. Because all our efforts will be concentrated on getting h2g2 back up again in the shortest time possible, we won't be able to answer your queries. We hope you'll forgive us for appearing somewhat pre-occupied until the site is back up again.

How can I find out more?

Bookmark the front page, and we'll publish updates as soon as we have more to tell you.

Back to front page

Copyright © 2001


#1 Front page, 25 January 2001
#2 FAQ, 25 January 2001
#3 h2g2chat, 25 January 2001
#4 BBC press release, 21 February 2001
#5 Welcome back, 13 March 2001


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A685505

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more