A Conversation for Paper Cuts

The Girl in the Iron Mask?

Post 1

twiggyleaf

Just like make up really. A cover up.
This cartoon made me think about what exactly was the funny bit.
Thank you for making me think.


The Girl in the Iron Mask?

Post 2

spimcoot

You're welcome; thank *you* for letting me know. As for finding the funny bit, there are people who have spent years on that task. I visit them, sometimes, poor dears...


The Girl in the Iron Mask?

Post 3

twiggyleaf

I hope you don't find that insulting. You have buried the humour of this cartoon somewhat. Took a bit of digging.

I'm a bit slow, but. Perhaps I'm the only one smiley - smiley


The Girl in the Iron Mask?

Post 4

spimcoot

N'no, not at all insulting. In fact, I pondered the humour of this particular one myself at length. But humour is like a moth; looks substantial enough until you try to catch the wee divil, then it turns to powder in your hand. How on earth can moths be made of powder?, wondered that for years. So, where do our sympathies lie? With the little girl, I imagine; mine certainly do at any rate. And so I draw her a frankly turgid home life with this pair of uptight bourgeois cretins and a gift as appealing as the Barbie total head brace. And I find that funny?



...yes, I do.

But actually, just rereading what I've written above, I've got it in the wrong order. My sympathies don't lie with the little girl, oh let's call her... Jermoline, because she's small and vulnerable. The joke came first, then I purposefully drew her as S. and V. as I could to further enhance *your* sympathies. Maybe I went too far, in the process losing something of the surface appeal of the gag. Is that ironic or appropriate? Only you can decide, dear reader at large, and dear twiggyleaf in particular.

Now look what you've done, you've gone and made me think too, using those precious brain cells which I was saving up to sacrifice to some nice tasty booze. That's it, I'm off down the pub with Jermoline... come on Jerm, fetch your coat... what do you mean you can't drink in that thing? I've got your funnel right here...


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Paper Cuts

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more