Schroedinger's Cat

1 Conversation

This is the classic case of cat, one, inside box, sealed, one; philosophers, for the use of. The question so often posed is thus: is the cat dead, if one cannot verify this situation, likewise, could it possibly be assumed to be alive until its death has been witnessed? Or something like that.

The important question is not, of course, whether the cat is alive or dead, but who the hell actually cares? Has anyone asked the cat's opinion on the matter? If the cat's opinion has been obtained can one then assume it to be alive? Terry Pratchett poses the theorem that there are in fact three states for the cat to be in: alive, dead or Bloody Furious. This raises the question, who is going to open the box? Can we assume the box-opener to be alive, dead, or bloodily mauled? Can we assume the police to have been called?

Alternatively, if a tree falls in the forest and no-one is there to hear it, did it fall on the cat? If the cat is incontinent, and no-one is there to smell it, will the box eventually disintegrate? If you shoot that Jehovah's Witness and no-one is there to see you, are you likely to get caught? Arrested? Prosecuted? Given a medal by the Mayor?

If you are mad enough to sit and write 200 words of skewed philosophy, can we assume you to be insane?

Oh.

Bugger.



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A675191

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more