Mega Man X Review

0 Conversations

A robot posing as Rodin's 'Thinker'

This is an article about the first Mega Man X game.
It was made by CapCom and released in 1993 for the super nintendo console.It is an action platformer, and the first of a series. New Mega Man games are still being released.

The hero, and the person that you will be playing, is "X", a special robot, and his task in the game is to defeat the villian, an evil robot named "Sigma".

In order to do this, you must go through eight stages (Which you can chose in any order or revisit at any time), defeating sub-bosses and the boss of each stage. This boss will resemble an animal of some type. Upon defeating him, you will gain a weakened and/or changed version of one of the attacks that he used against you. They all have limited ammunition.

One of the weapons however, gets stronger. The weapon in question is Storm Eagle's. When you defeat him, the weapon Storm Tornado becomes yours. While fighting him, all it will do is push you off of an airship that you are fighting on, which is fatal. Once you gain this weapon, however, if you use Storm Tornado against a normal enemy it will kill them instantly.

The only weapon more powerful than the Storm Tornado is the Hadoken, gained by finding a secret capsule after you have found all of the optional powerups in the game.When used, it will destroy bosses in one hit. It requires that you be at full health, and that you do a difficult motion on the "D" button, which leaves you vulnerable.

Powerups are sixteen in number, sub-devided into three groups; four subtanks(which, can be stocked with life, to be used for healing), eight heart tanks (which increase your life bar and heal you slightly) and four capsules(which give you a special power). Three of these capsules are considered optional, but the one found in the Chill Penguin Stage is blocking your path and must be accessed in order for you to continue playing. This capsule enables your character to use the dash feature, which will be needed through-out the game.

The gameplay of Mega Man X is simple. After going through a beginning stage, you choose 1 out of 8 stages to go through. Your weapon is named the "X-Buster". If you press the Y button you'll fire a weak little yellow energy shot. However, if you hold down the Y button, energy will surround X and you can fire a more powerful shot.

There are two levels to the X-Buster charge in the beginning.
The first is a bigger, green shot that you fire if you only hold down the button a little while.If you hold the button down longer you'll fire an even bigger, blue shot. After you find a secret powerup you can charge up to a third level, where you fire a blast that looks like a pink double-helix.

Enemies upon being killed, drop life and weapon refills.

You will find a good many differences between this and the original Mega Man games. The first difference you will probably notice is that you can climb walls by pressing the B button while pressing the D-button in the same direction that the wall is facing.

The second you will notice is that X, the main character, can get enhancements in the form of "Armor Capsules". You step in front of them and Dr. Light, X's creater, will detail what the enhancement will do. The first Capsule you will find is for your legs. It will give X the ability to "Dash". By pressing the A button you will suddenly dash forward. It only lasts a second or so and you won't go very far, but in conjunction with the B button you will go farther than you normaly could with a running jump. It also changes the way your legs look.

There are four other capsules. The first gives you a helmet, used to break blocks. It has no other use until you need it to gain the next power-up, which enables your X-Buster to charge up to one level higher than it normaly could, and charge up special weapons. Another power-up is for your torso, and it reduces damage by 50%. The last power-up is a secret one that lets you do the Hadoken from the Street Fighter series.

Here is my review of Mega Man X. It has nice graphics for the Super Nintendo. The bosses are some of the better graphics designed for the system. However, while the graphics have a good design, the execution is flawed. Good level design helps the game too. No slow down or graphic glichs. I give the graphics an 7 out of 10.

The gameplay is nice too. The addition of the dash helps difficult jumps. The sub tanks help too, but are necessary to beat the game. The difficulty is even thoughout the game, except the final boss's two forms. He is incredibly difficult. Other than that, the game play is good. If you've played earlier Mega Mans, there is enough differences to play this one. I give it a 7 out of 10 on gameplay.

I don't pay attention to sound and music in video games that much, so no rating on it.

Over all, this is one of my favorites for the Super Nintendo. I give Mega Man X a 7.5 out of 10.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A673922

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more