Madagascar Overview

1 Conversation


This guide is written based on a trip to Madagascar in November 2001. It is hoped that this will provide a jumping off point for discussions and more informaiton sharing about the land and its people.

Impressions of the Country and The People

The Land

The Central Highlands and Antananarivo

The central highlands of Madagascar have a temperate climate with many rice and watercress fields. Antananarivo is in the middle of the highlands and thus has a very hilly contour. There are hills and valleys in the city, which separate the various sections of the city. The sections of the city seem to be divided by income and class, with some areas peopled by the well to do and others by the poor. There is a large amount of poverty in Antananarivo and there are many people living from day-to-day by begging and/or selling items on the streets. This is unique to Antananarivo due to the heavy Western influence in the city. There is not much industry in the highlands.

North, Antsiranana, and Ambilobe

The north of Madagascar is much warmer, with more humidity, than the central highlands. It is cut off from the rest of the country by the Tsaratanana Massif and is reminiscent of the mid-western plains of America. There are many dormant volcanoes with verdant forests and valleys. The forests and brush of the north are being decimated by the slash and burn technique of rice farming that the people are using. The Antakarana Reserve is somewhat protected, but even there; some of the land was being used for rice farming. Rice farming and zebu raising are the major occupations in the north.

Antsiranana is a port city (formerly Diego Suarez) and is used for shipping and as a stepping off point for the tourist industry. The city is very small, comparatively speaking, with a heavy Muslim influence from the more successful merchants.

Ambilobe is a village approximately 75 kilometers south of Antsiranana in the middle of the Antakarana Reserve. It lies in a huge plain and is the central point for the Antakarana people.

The People

General

The people in Madagascar are very hard working; education seems to be important to the city dwellers, but in the rural areas and in the 'back streets' of the cities there do not appear to be many educational opportunities. The people are persistent, extremely friendly and seem to always have a smile to share, no matter their circumstances. There are two major classes of people: the elite and the abject poor; however a middle class is beginning to develop in the capital. There are many Asian and French operating businesses in the capital while in the north (Antsiranana) almost all of the businesses are owned and/or operated by Pakistanis and Indians.

The Antakarana

Contrary to the people in the capital, the Antakarana do not beg. The families take responsibility for their members that have needs that they themselves cannot meet. Unlike the capital, there is a deep respect for elders in the north. In the capital, there appears to be less tolerance for the older generation; the people are more likely to make fun of, or criticize their elders, particularly older foreigners.

The Culture

The people in the smaller towns lead a much simpler life than in the cities. Living conditions are simpler than the West is used to, and may provide a challenge for cultural adaptation. There are not as many conveniences as in America or Europe. The simple act of purchasing meat and food stuffs on the open market is an indication of a culture which is very different from ours. The food is in one sense familiar in that it is reminiscent of America's southeast. This is an area to be aware of since it may add to the culture shock and frustration of living in another country.

The Language

The official national language is the Merina dialect of Malagasy (or Malgache) and is spoken throughout the country. There are many French speakers in Antananarivo, but less outside the capital. The Antakarana tribe has its own dialect of Malagache (Antakaran); native Antakaran speakers understand only 70% of the Merina dialect.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A672509

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more