A Conversation for A Short History of Cubism: Old Entry

Peer Review: A671799 - A Short History of Cubism

Post 1

Robert

Entry: A Short History of Cubism - A671799
Author: Robert - U185566

A short history (hence the name) of Cubism. I've dug this one up from the depths of my 'Guide Entries' page and tidied it up a bit, but feel free to tear it back up again smiley - smiley

Robert


A671799 - A Short History of Cubism

Post 2

Azara

Hi, Robert!

I was very surprised when I saw that no one had commented on this entry yet. Then I started to work out what I would say myself, and I began to hum and haw... I think this entry is well written and well organised, but there's a problem with it somewhere. Maybe it's just that it doesn't say quite enough...I think you could easily double the length of it without people getting bogged down.

For example, your introduction deals with the idea that the invention of photography in 1839 replaced the importance of artists for portraits. It's a long hop from this to Picasso, and I think the introduction would benefit from being broadened a little... for example, it would be better to talk about 'representational' and 'non-representational' art rather than 'portraits' and 'abstract' art as the two opposites: think of how many representational pictures are not portraits, but landscapes, still lives etc. Cubism was only one art movement among many, and mentioning the others might help to set it in context.

I can see now why other reviewers might have skimmed this without commenting - my overall impression is that what you have written is fine, but that it's a little sparse to become the main Guide entry on Cubism.

smiley - cheers
Azara
smiley - rose


A671799 - A Short History of Cubism

Post 3

Robert

OK, I'll take it out of PR and beef it up smiley - smiley

smiley - cheers

Robert


A671799 - A Short History of Cubism

Post 4

Azara

smiley - smileyJust make sure you put it back again!

I hope I wasn't too discouraging...I honestly think it's fine as far as it goes, but (for me) it just doesn't go quite far enough.

Good luck!
Azara
smiley - rose


A671799 - A Short History of Cubism

Post 5

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Hi Robert,

If you think you *can* say more, then great, but I have to say, this reads very well as it is. smiley - bubbly

Jims


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more