A Conversation for The h2g2 Doctor Who Group

Familiar themes (possible spoilers)

Post 1

Type History

There are a few things which recur often in Who. In last night's, we had the 'big thing at the bottom of some warehouse' and we had the 'commercial corporation which is actually evil'. There have already been other recurring things this series, and doubtless there will be more.

Anyway, I quite liked the Ood episode, 'cos it had spaceships and stuff, and nobody's mum turned up. Also, the line to the effect of "I don't know what's right or wrong any more" was very nice. I like moral ambiguity.


Familiar themes (possible spoilers)

Post 2

eloisa

Was the giant brain set the same as the 'Ecclestone-shouting-at-the-thingy-consciousness-thing' set?
I'm ill, I know what I mean but my brain won't conjure up any of tghe correct words!!
smiley - ill


Familiar themes (possible spoilers)

Post 3

Type History

Listening to the podcast which accompanies this episode, we learn that the way it was written was that RTD dictated to the writer a few elements, including these 'familiar themes', and then the episode was written around that. No wonder they keep recurring!


Familiar themes (possible spoilers)

Post 4

Jozcoz

Variety is the spice of life, not re-working stuff that we've seen before...


Familiar themes (possible spoilers)

Post 5

eloisa

So, two storylines about turning the Earth into a breeding colony followed by a mysterious daughter.
Is Russ getting broody?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more