A Conversation for The Perfect Boss

Collaborative Writing Workshop: A627211 - The Perfect Boss

Post 1

You can call me TC

Entry: The Perfect Boss - A627211
Author: Trillian's Child - U154942

I haven't written an entry since this new system started, so I am still not familiar with the terms other than PR. However, I think a subject like this must have more input from other people and, while I consider the topic comprehensively covered by what I have written, I would appreciate other angles - and particularly some comments from people nearer the top of the pecking order.

So go ahead - Peck!


A627211 - The Perfect Boss

Post 2

Mina

I do like this, and I'm pleased to see that Natalie wins on a lot of these points. smiley - biggrin I think it would be easier to read if it it wasn't just a list though. Do you want to turn it into something that is Edited, or is it just here for comments and additions?


A627211 - The Perfect Boss

Post 3

ex Brigadeer, now Tealady Werekitty aka Tobru De'ran; ex sith extraordinaire, well poked veggie fascist and Goo Goose

The perfect boss is... Dead!!!
No
They say there are for variants of bosses

amiable capable - the best kind- try to upwards delegate as much work as possible
amiable stupid - Fun to toy with
evil capable - AVOID or sick on your coworkers
evil stupid - The easiest to manipulate.


A627211 - The Perfect Boss

Post 4

Martin Harper

Specifically, Scott Adams says, unless he pinched the idea off someone else... smiley - smiley


A627211 - The Perfect Boss

Post 5

ex Brigadeer, now Tealady Werekitty aka Tobru De'ran; ex sith extraordinaire, well poked veggie fascist and Goo Goose

whoo hoo!! Someone else who reads The Joy of Work (Finding Happiness at the expense of your co workers)


A627211 - The Perfect Boss

Post 6

Martin Harper

Good book isn't it? smiley - smiley


A627211 - The Perfect Boss

Post 7

ex Brigadeer, now Tealady Werekitty aka Tobru De'ran; ex sith extraordinaire, well poked veggie fascist and Goo Goose

For some reason it lives in the bathroom, so it has given my much pleasure on those long venture into said room... smiley - weird


A627211 - The Perfect Boss

Post 8

You can call me TC

Sorry I haven't answered before Mina. I didn't notice that this thread had been posted to.

I would very much like it added to in the same vein by others, as I am sure my own experience can't possibly be comprehensive and others will have other angles on things. The ultimate aim, however, was to offer it up for editing. I haven't checked if there are any recent entries on the subject, since writing it, nor whether the talking point I mention in the entry has been extended or repeated.

If you find it unpleasant to read as a list, I am happy to translate it into prose. Myself, I am particularly fond of lists.

How can I get more input?


A627211 - The Perfect Boss

Post 9

Trout Montague

The perfect boss probably doesn't exist, on account of application of The Peter Principle, being the principle that employees within an organization will advance to their highest level of competence, and then be promoted to and remain at the level at which they are incompetent. The perfect boss will be promoted to the next level up and someone imperfect (e.g., you, me) will fill the vacancy.


A627211 - The Perfect Boss

Post 10

You can call me TC

I'm not sure if that was tongue in cheek, but I beg to disagree. Work is much more enjoyable and productive if everyone gets on with each other.

So I'm looking for the qualities (and anyone can have them) which a person must have in order to be respected and liked by their boss/subordinate.


A627211 - The Perfect Boss

Post 11

Martin Harper

Pecking...

Generic point:
The entire thing is written assuming that both boss and employee are male smiley - cross

> "Laughs at people's jokes"

Insincerity as a business strategy?

> "Is quite justified in flying off the handle if someone makes the same mistake a second or third time"

'flying off the handle'? Bosses shouldn't lose control of their emotions, no matter how 'justified' it may be.

> "Has a right to expect the complete attention of his staff when he is talking to them"

Provided sie is in a situation where the staff can give hir complete attention, and provided the employee isn't on a lunch-break, and provided that sie hasn't barged in and started talking while the employee is halfway through doing something that requires concentration.

> "Is not continually away at meetings or business trips"

Except in some circumstances that IS the bosses job. Unfortunate boss, but not a bad one.

> "Knows how to apologise with dignity"
> "Doesn't need to make excuses, because he never gets himself into any situation which would require this."

Contradiction?

smiley - popcorn

> "The Other Side of the Story"

Isn't relevant to this entry (which is already long) and could be put into a seperate entry on how to be the perfect employee...

-Martin


A627211 - The Perfect Boss

Post 12

You can call me TC

Thanks Lucinda. I am grateful for some constructive input on the same vein as the entry. I agree, it should be two entries, on strength of length alone. Lists are solid information as opposed to a lightly written piece of prose which has lots of ballast.

What do you think of the list format?


A627211 - The Perfect Boss

Post 13

Martin Harper

I'm not hugely keen, but I think it *could* work. It does come over a bit "Wear Sunscreen", though... smiley - erm

I think I'd prefer to see fewer bullet points, but each bullet point be larger. Then you could include a few quotes from people with particularly good or bad bosses to add a bit of depth. Oh, and more links would be good...

-Martin


A627211 - The Perfect Boss

Post 14

ex Brigadeer, now Tealady Werekitty aka Tobru De'ran; ex sith extraordinaire, well poked veggie fascist and Goo Goose

*looks in terror at all the long words, and swiftly runs away realising that this conversation has now been taken over by proffessionals* smiley - run


A627211 - The Perfect Boss

Post 15

You can call me TC

I'm not quite sure which of those words were particulary long.

smiley - sorry

Right, well, this is where I came in. Waiting for people with good or bad bosses to put their 2 cents in and say why or how they are good or bad.

In the meantime, I'll soften up the format for you.


A627211 - The Perfect Boss

Post 16

You can call me TC

I am working on converting this to prose off line. In the mean time, please give more input - I don't want this to reflect my own experiences and subjective opinions - it must be something everyone has something to say about.


A627211 - The Perfect Boss

Post 17

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

Have only just stumbled upon this thread.

I may have missed it but dont think so having read it, and thread twice but.......

Please and Thankyou.
For me a great boss is someone that will always add a please or thankyou at the end of a request. And i use the word 'request' because imo the boss (as part of his job) needs to make sure his team work effectively, effieciently and contentedly. While my boss has the authority to order me to do something, the quality of the result (by my willingness to make a good job of it) is greatly increased by me being 'asked' and not 'told' to do something. It creates a better working environment by showing basic respect to each other. Also in many 'team building' courses I am sure it is the current thinking that using this approach does give a better return on production and efficiency etc aswell as happy employees.

My current line manager is an old ***** so is currently proving it true by not doing it smiley - erm

smiley - biggrin Mort


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more